Is it worth changing to less knobbly tyres?

Gess
Gess Posts: 42
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

I'm thinking of changing my tyres to less knobbly ones, and was wondering if anyone had done the same and noticed any difference?

I've got a Rockrider 8.1 (great bike btw!) which has the standard B'twin Sport tyres on it (http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rigid-bead-26x20-sport-id_8133729.html). However most of my cycling at the moment is commuting - about 20 miles a day along canal paths and roads - so I was thinking of switching to Schwalbe Land Cruisers (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-land-cruiser-mtb-tyre/). Has anyone done the same? Will I notice any difference??

Thanks for your help/ thoughts!

Comments

• Wayupnorth
    Wayupnorth Posts: 40
    I just swapped my commuting bike over to land cruisers again for the summer. They make a huge difference to my usual Panaracers on tarmac and simple gravel paths. They aren't light tyres, but you will immediately notice how quiet they are and how much faster you will travel. Worth trying.
  • PashleyRider
    PashleyRider Posts: 180
    Those Btwin tyres are horrific for any surface! Can't recomend a slick but can recomend ditching the current ones!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Huge difference with a decent slick and they'll probably be just as good off road as what you have as the standard tyres are dire anyway.
    But I wouldn't get the ones you linked to - at 900g for a semi slick tyre they must be made of concrete. My 2.25 knobblies weigh just over 500g.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    This would tempt me - excellent off road, decent on road, just over 500g. A bit more than the land cruisers but well worth it.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kenda-Small-B ... 3cd2416f57
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Gess
    cooldad wrote:
    Huge difference with a decent slick and they'll probably be just as good off road as what you have as the standard tyres are dire anyway.
    But I wouldn't get the ones you linked to - at 900g for a semi slick tyre they must be made of concrete. My 2.25 knobblies weigh just over 500g.

Thanks for the replies - sounds like I should definitely change from my current tyres.

cooldad - any recommendations for an alternative to the Land Cruisers?

Thanks again.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    edited June 2013
    cooldad wrote:
    This would tempt me - excellent off road, decent on road, just over 500g. A bit more than the land cruisers but well worth it.

Careful - that link takes me to 29" tyres, but OP linked to a 26", so that's presumably what he needs.

EDIT - that's wierd, just opened the link again and now it's 26" (which is presumably what you saw, CD) - something odd going on there....
  • Gess
    cooldad - apologies, saw your second post just after sending my reply. Thanks again!!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Maxxis Larsen TT are a good quick semi slick also the Maxxis Crossmark both should be well better than the boat fenders you currently have. These guys do a great service very quick and a good range http://www.nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/MAXXIS-CROSSMARK-MTB-26/75
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    jimothy78 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Careful - that link takes me to 29" tyres, but OP linked to a 26", so that's presumably what he needs.

EDIT - that's wierd, just opened the link again and now it's 26" (which is presumably what you saw, CD) - something odd going on there....
    Yeah he's selling 26ers and 29ers, I initially linked to the wrong pair. But because I am anal I check my posts and fix them to protect the innocent.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    cooldad wrote:
    Yeah he's selling 26ers and 29ers, I initially linked to the wrong pair. But because I am anal I check my posts and fix them to protect the innocent.
    thank god for that - I'd started to think I'd halucinated.
  • Gess
    Looks like everyone agrees that my current tyres are proper rubbish then :lol: I guess they also need an upgrade before my next trip to the trails...

A quick follow-up question - the two tyres mentioned as alternatives to the Schwalbes are both more expensive - is that just because you're getting a lighter tyre, or will they run much better? I'm not too bothered about weight given that I generally commute with 6-8 kgs on my back anyway...
  • cooldad
    Weight on the bike, especially on the wheels, makes a much, much bigger difference than weight on your back.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's very hard to over estimate the benefits of lightweight tyres, the whole bike will feel transformeed (for a few days until you get used to them at least!)

Lighter tyres is pretty much linked to better quality and so more expensive.

Depending on what non sealed surface you ride, a Schwalbe city jet is the go to budget slick, but may be too slick for you.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I've been wondering about swapping out tyres for some faster rolling tyres because i've just started to ride to work, 7 miles going and around 14miles back going via an offroad route.

I've looked at race king, racing ralph, onza cannis as riding with a nobby nic up front and ground control rear is not so draggy on tarmac but could be quicker
  • i occasionaly ride to work about a 17mile round trip, i use these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marath ... city-tyre/ when commuting and they make a hell of a difference compared to my fire XC pros which i use when off roading.

they don't look as cool on my bike but they are quicker, quieter and are fine for some light off roading. if your doing plenty of road miles i would defo advise buying some slicks.
  • It's very hard to over estimate the benefits of lightweight tyres, the whole bike will feel transformeed (for a few days until you get used to them at least!)

Lighter tyres is pretty much linked to better quality and so more expensive.

Depending on what non sealed surface you ride, a Schwalbe city jet is the go to budget slick, but may be too slick for you.

+1 for the Schwalbe city jets, completely transformed my Radon ZR 7 when riding on cycle paths