Which 650b wheels for my SC Bronson?

notax
notax Posts: 138
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Just ordered myself a Santa Cruz Bronson frame in Tennis Yellow :D Now need to decide on the build, mostly sorted, XT 2x 10, XT brakes, Reverb, Fox 34 - not sure about wheels. Wanted SLRs but launch date for 650b not announced. Industry Nine Torch Trail 24 been recommended by Lawman - look stunning and I do like a bit of bling. Slight concern they may not be strong enough if I take to the Alps or do the Megavalanche again - but I only weigh 70kg so well within the 91kg weight limit. Bugdet around £800 - £1000 for wheels. Any thoughts? Enve a step too far...

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Stans do 650b rims don't they?

Set of Arch or the ones that arent Crests (flip what are they called now!!!!) on some pimping I9 hubs with CX ray spokes???

Edit - FLOWS! dagnabbit it's been a long day
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • notax
    Thanks, can anyone find photos of the suggested wheel built up with CX Ray spokes? Keen to see what it looks like but couldn't find any pics. Does anyone have views on the Industry Nine options?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    DT240 on Light Bicycle carbon rims I reckons.

Until you get within 6" of the wheel CX-Rays look like every other spoke. Having used them several times I'd not bother again - you just break nipples instead of spokes! They're not the easiest to build with either.
  • ddraver
    edited June 2013
    Nyet sorry, Have them on my bike but I'm in Algeria so can't see it now. Agree they don't look significantly different though

Went with a guide who recommended Hope Hubs for general riding (your average GB trail centre rider) and I9 for High performance use/racing. I know that there has to be a certain amount of salt pinching but he was nt a bullshooter and (tellingly) was sponsored by a competitor...
    - @ddraver
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    American Classic in either Race or AM? E13 TRS?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • notax
    njee20 wrote:
    DT240 on Light Bicycle carbon rims I reckons.

Until you get within 6" of the wheel CX-Rays look like every other spoke. Having used them several times I'd not bother again - you just break nipples instead of spokes! They're not the easiest to build with either.

The Light Bicycle wheels look amazing value and super light weight - would look even better with Enve stickers on them :wink: Reliability could be an issue from their reviews..? Here's a link, what does everyone think?

http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-mou ... ike-wheels
  • notax
    benpinnick wrote:
    American Classic in either Race or AM? E13 TRS?

Very impressed by the American Classics - only problem is I'm not sure I could stand having 'American' plastered all over my wheels - although it is an American bike so maybe I should just accept it :lol:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... t-12-46217
  • benpinnick
    The latest gen are slightly more 'subtle' :)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • notax
    benpinnick wrote:

Yes, I see what you mean - I have to say the extra pimpy look of the 2012 model is growing on me! Can't find any for sale though...
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Personally I'd be whacking a set of Flow EX on it myself.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • benpinnick
    Notax wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:

Yes, I see what you mean - I have to say the extra pimpy look of the 2012 model is growing on me! Can't find any for sale though...

Mountain trax in Wokingham do them.... little drive from you but a Santa Cruz dealer too (and great people too - really good shop - worth a trip up this way I would say). We've got a couple of Bronson owners too on the Swinley Forest Moutain Biker facebook group, maybe you could combine a visit to MT with a trip to Swinley to Bronson ogle.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    Reliability could be an issue from their reviews..?

Dunno, there's thousands of good reviews out there, I'd definitely get a set for a trail bike type build.

Hope hubs are hugely over rated IMO, yes spare parts availability is good, and they're very versatile, but that's about it IMO!
  • notax
    Well, my LBS has just burst my pimpy 650b wheel bubble! I suggested American Classics and Industry Nine (which I particularly like the look of) but their experience of these wheels in 26" is that they dont stand up well to UK riding conditions - particularly the sand and mud where we ride year round. Their suggestion is to get some Stan hoops and build up straight forward wheels as a stop gap and wait for Crossmax to launch their 650b range. My initial plan was to go for SLRs and the LBS and I have had very good experiences with the Crossmax range. Any views?
  • njee20
    They're heavy, over priced and spare parts are absurdly expensive with patchy availability. They have recently made the hubs marginally better, but they're still a pretty basic hub design, and Mavic being among the least innovative companies out there with regards to MTB stuff it'll be at least 20 years before they introduce a 650b wheelset.

I'd be looking for a new shop.
  • benpinnick
    ^ This. American classics have an excellent rep for reliability - probably among the best of any brand, theyre not fancy or even that shiny, just well built well thought out wheels right down to the different coloured spokes to mark the valve hole. Mavics are overpriced, heavy, and a bitch to adapt for different standards. Oh, and UST means getting tyres on and off is a total freaking nightmare.

I couldnt speak for i9, and those spokes would worry me for parts, but at least they are trying something new. The new Eastons look nice too, their hubs used to be terrible, but apparently thats not an issue any more.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • notax
    Thanks, I was surprised by the LBS' view but I haven't been able to find long term reviews of these other wheelsets. Whether their customers have been unlucky I don't know... I personally haven't had any issues with Mavic Crossmax wheels and I've been using different types for over 10 years, but keen to try an alternative particularly as Mavic won't say when their 650b wheels are coming out...
  • njee20
    I just don't understand why anyone would buy them quite honestly.

Shop recommending them because I9 and AMC are harder to come by and margins are smaller, I'd have far more faith in the longevity of either.

Anyway, if longevity is an issue than anything with proprietary parts is a daft idea, do what I said first time around - 240s, carbon rims (or Stan's if you're worried about those), and either Comps/Super Comps/Revs depending on your willingness to trade lightweight for stiffness.
  • ddraver
    MY new Canyon is coming with them, I can give you an idea of what I think then. Unfortunatly, everything i post requires you to wait, sorry bout that!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Resurrection!!

Seen these Notax? - http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... hed-37664/
    - @ddraver