Climbing bike build

2»

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    smidsy wrote:
    C24's are not a stiff wheel, quite a few statements on here about brake rub and flex.

I'm 77kg and put a resonable amount of power down on climbs, no issues with stiffness on c24's for me. Great wheelset.
  • the_jackalcp
    the_jackalcp Posts: 276
    Felt F1 frame, Force groupset and C24 wheels as long as you aren't too heavy will fit the budget. Another frame to consider is an older cervelo as sold at Slane cycles. The newer R3 is not as light as the models. Ultimately go with the best frame for your budget that fits you as other stuff is easier/cheaper to upgrade later.

Consider a frame with bb30 for weight saving in the crank. As for other weight saving look for light tubes(supersonics), tyres (Vittoria or Conti), skewers (KCNC). Look at the latest Superleggera stuff from Deda or again KCNC make good value light stuff when it comes to the cockpit. It's not just about the obvious stuff, the weight is in the detail as well.
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    smidsy wrote:
    C24's are not a stiff wheel, quite a few statements on here about brake rub and flex.

No flex or brake rub on my C24s. Plenty stiff enough.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310

Consider a frame with bb30 for weight saving in the crank.

Yes, if you want to spend a lot of time in the bike shop and in the workshop section of this forum, by all means consider BB30... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Anyone who comes on here defending the C24 still does not make them stiff wheels. It simply means they are stiff enough for their needs.

In the grand scheme of things there are far stiffer wheels, that is all I am saying. And it is not just me...

And do the stiffness claims hold up? Well, that's a bit of a muddy issue. In the lab (for 'lab' read 'shed') they don't - our standard test is to apply a lateral force to the rim and measure the deflection, and the RS80's 5mm deflection for 15kg load is higher than both the Gipiemme (4mm) and the Fulcrum (3mm).
    I could get them to touch the blocks if I really tried, but that's true of nearly every wheel I've ever ridden. They're not as stiff as a set of Fulcrum 3s, but they're stiff enough, and a good deal lighter for the same money.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • imposter2.0
    smidsy wrote:
    Anyone who comes on here defending the C24 still does not make them stiff wheels. It simply means they are stiff enough for their needs.

Good lesson in semantics there. By the same token, lab/shed tests where you push the rim laterally does not make them 'flexible' either. Do you even own a pair?
  • smidsy
    As you proably know already I do not. But I do not need to own a Ferrari to know it is faster than a mini either.

Lab testing is THE way to determin how stiff something is compared to something else - it is the only constant.

Anyway this is now well off topic and not assisitng the OP.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • imposter2.0
    smidsy wrote:
    As you proably know already I do not. But I do not need to own a Ferrari to know it is faster than a mini either.

Lab testing is THE way to determin how stiff something is compared to something else - it is the only constant.

Except this wasn't done in a lab, was it. According to your own quote, it was done in someone's shed. Meanwhile, all I see are lots of owners of C24s disagreeing with you.
  • smidsy
    I have stated my point of view and others have stated theirs, time to move on.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Imposter wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Except this wasn't done in a lab, was it. According to your own quote, it was done in someone's shed. Meanwhile, all I see are lots of owners of C24s disagreeing with you.

Ah, the joy of Internet forums. You get one post from a 100kg rider complaining that, surprisingly, his 16/20 spoke wheels aren't stiff enough. That then means they aren't stiff wheels :?
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    and you're also testing deflection in a situation that's not necessarily encountered on a bike. By all means say something like: in my shed when I hung weights off a wheel the c24s rim deflection was measured to be more than others However, when actually on a bike you have a number of other dynamics and forces in play and also encounter a variety of circumstances so can you definitively say that that deflection is actually a negative when compared to other wheels?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    seems that for all of these wheels there are issues. i have dura ace c24's, a set of handbuilts (from Ugo) and C50's as my main wheels.

the handbuilts are heavier than the c24's but are slightly worse for climbing, not by much... they are better handling though and the ride is very similar. they are also better at higher speeds ( or require less effort). so as an all rounder they win out.

for pure climbing the c24 is a great wheel and my weight (75-78kg) is not an issue. they are good all rounders, but for less money you can get a wheel that does all of what they do and is better in some aspects of performance for less.

on the flatlands not much beats my c50's though, and descending is a dream with them! short climbs are good, but on the longer/ steeper climbs, they aren't as good, though again there isn't a great deal in it!