Medial Knee Pain (pes anserine bursitis)

Barrzy257
Barrzy257 Posts: 411
edited June 2013 in Road general
I have been diagnosed with this today at the hospital, knee had been aching for a few weeks then I felt something go yesterday 30miles into a 105 mile ride, foolishly I carried on.

Now the physic told me what it is, and supposedly how to treat it (don't cycle 2-4 wks and stretches), what that doesn't solve the issue of why has this happened?

Would very much appreciate some help on this, i've been working hard all year to compete the wiggle dragon on sunday and now it looks like I'll have to give it a miss!

cheers
Barrzy257

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Barrzy257 wrote:
    i've been working hard all year

This is probably what caused it. :(
  • cerv50
    cerv50 Posts: 272
    Im in a similar boat to you mate. Rode 400 miles over Easter and have been having trouble with my left knee ever since. Off to see a physio at 8 tonight :(

I have been resting it as much as possible and it is getting better but its blooming slow at repairing itself. I missed out on Evans King of the Downs this weekend and have had to cancel another sportive later this month. Stupidly I am still doing the London to Brighton on the 16th. Have to so I collect the sponsorship money for such a worth while cause :)
  • Barrzy257
    Barrzy257 Posts: 411
    I keep considering just manning up and doing the dragon, but I also keep thinking maybe it will cause more damage and then become a bigger problem. I've only been cycle 18-24momths and 23, so I don't want a reoccurring problem as I plan to be cycling the next 50yrs!!

Doing a little more reading online, it suggests about saddle height and cleat location being a possible cause, I have changed shoes recently and pedal brands, I'm quite OCD so spent a while setting cleats up, so maybe I'll lower saddle height. Thinking now I have been doing quite a few hill repeats the last few weeks, and the hills in my area are quite steep and short
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    for goodness sake don't try and train through an injury. I am not familiar with this specific problem, but did have a lateral ligament injury to my knee that I made far worse by trying to keep going and restart training too early. ligaments, tendons and soft tissues can take a long time to heal. They also don't develop as fast as muscles when you start training - this can be a reason for injuries if you build up intensity & duration too fast.
  • cerv50
    cerv50 Posts: 272
    After my appointment last night with the physio I have been diagnosed with damage to the area where the vastus medialis muscle joins its tendon. I have been checked all over and he believes it comes down to poor movement in my hip flexors on my left side. When standing up straight my knees don't lock out so my quads are always in tension and over many years this has tired the muscle/joint out to the point that has been brought to a head by cycling.

It can be fixed by stretching exercises and a course of massage and acupuncture of which last night was the first. He said no cycling for a few weeks and 6 to 8 sessions with him will sort it out so I can carry on.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    cerv50 wrote:
    After my appointment last night with the physio I have been diagnosed with damage to the area where the vastus medialis muscle joins its tendon. I have been checked all over and he believes it comes down to poor movement in my hip flexors on my left side. When standing up straight my knees don't lock out so my quads are always in tension and over many years this has tired the muscle/joint out to the point that has been brought to a head by cycling.

It can be fixed by stretching exercises and a course of massage and acupuncture of which last night was the first. He said no cycling for a few weeks and 6 to 8 sessions with him will sort it out so I can carry on.

I have a similar issue and seem to be keeping on top of it by foam roller, self massage, stretching and attempting to strengthen the VMO. Its niggling me at times, although not much on the bike but knowing me I will push it too far. Perhaps I should go get some physio again also.