Selling advice - DT forks

Basil Hume
Basil Hume Posts: 54
edited June 2013 in MTB general
I recently listed my 2009 DT Swiss XMC 130 forks on eBay. Other than a few marks to the dropout where they hit my wife's bike in the shed, the forks are mint. They were serviced by Pace in 2010 and again by Madison in 2012.

I agreed a sale to a chap who was passing my house on his travels. We agreed a price, I ended the eBay auction early and he seemed happy with them on collection.

Sadly - within a few hours, he rang me to say that the forks were leaking oil around the seals. This was news to me, but I instantly offered to refund him what he'd paid and added £30 for postage and his inconvenience (this seems a bit generous in hindsight, but hey ho).

So... I now have my forks back and I don't know what to do with them. I'm also £45 out of pocket (fees and goodwill).

They were working perfectly when I last used them in late April and they were only serviced about 20 hours' of use ago (200 hour service interval). I just can't see how they are now in need of a service, but clearly can't sell them at full market value as an honest seller.

My dilemma is whether to service them at a presumed cost of £100 (i.e. service, seals and carriage) or to offer them for sale, making clear the story and the fact that they *may* require a service?
Cotic Soul - Fox 32 RLC forks, XTR go, XT stop, Hope / DT wheels, Thomson / Easton / Hope finishing

Cotic >X< - 105 and SLX go, Avid stop, XT / Mavic disc wheels and Easton finishing

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Leaking oil doesnt mean anything untoward, unless they are leaking alot... How much came out?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Are they leaking?

The wiper seals are just that, they aren't designed to hold every last drop in or the seal would run dry on the stanchion. Had he filled (overfilled) them?

As long as they run smooth if I was buying I wouldn't be that fussed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Basil Hume
    Basil Hume Posts: 54
    I haven't fitted them back to my own bike to assess them as I've now converted the front wheel to a 15mm set-up (DT forks are 9mm axle). But they were absolutely fine before the sale. :(

I am certain that he didn't do anything to the forks other than fit them, as he literally called me 2 hours after collecting them - he'd have spent that time driving home 50 miles and then fitting them.
    Cotic Soul - Fox 32 RLC forks, XTR go, XT stop, Hope / DT wheels, Thomson / Easton / Hope finishing

Cotic >X< - 105 and SLX go, Avid stop, XT / Mavic disc wheels and Easton finishing
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So they had been laying down for the duration of the drive, possibly even partially upside down, then fitted and not allowed to stand and drain - no flaming wonder the stanchions were wet! Just sell them again, nothing to see here!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Check the forks your self. If they are fine resell them. If they are broken sell them and describe them as so and let the new owners sort them out.

Either way better than them just sitting in the shed.