£500 - new or second hand?

DanLFC7
DanLFC7 Posts: 4
edited June 2013 in MTB general
Hey I'm new here. I've got around £500 to spend on a new bike. I'm thinking of buying one from eBay cos you'd expect to get more bike for your money being second hand. I'm after a hard tail.

Any suggestions of a decent bike for around that money? Or no of anybody selling a nice bike for that money?

Cheers, Dan.

Comments

• EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    how much experience do you have with bikes? If you're fairly confident, already have tools etc there's a lot to be said for buying second hand.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And if not, read the sticky at the top of Buying Advice.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lots of decent bikes come up used on ebay, but recommendations are a waste of time as there is no guarentee of when one will become available, better to find some and ask if they are worth considering.

I buy everything used, so know where you are coming from.

What sort of HT are you after, XC, trail, hardcore, street.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DanLFC7
    Cheers for the replys. I'm after a XC bike.

I've not been riding for a few years now and I'm kind of out of the know with the good and bad bikes now.
  • The Rookie
    Ones to look for...
    Boardman, Rockrider 8.1, Carrera Fury, Voodoo Hoodoo, all can be had for circa £300-400 leaving you money to fix any minor niggles and equip yourself with spares and tools.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DanLFC7
    Thanks mate. Gonna check ebay now,

I was originally looking at the Carrera Kraken from halfords for £450.
  • The Rookie
    New the Bantu or Hoodoo are better value.