LBS Dissing Cube Frames

alesupper
alesupper Posts: 286
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
I have been in my LBS to look at and discuss 29ers a couple of times and on both occasions the staff there have put me off Cube bikes (pushing me towards Treks or Whytes) because they say that they don't put much effort into the design of their frames, but make their bikes look good by putting good components on them.

Now I find this strange because:-

a) They are a Cube resellers so if they think that about their frames why do they sell them in the first place?
b) I have a Cube Reaction Pro hardtail and think it is a great bike.

I have only owned one MTB so I am not very experienced in this area so I wondered what people thought about Cube bikes? Is there any truth in what the LBS staff are saying or is it just that they make more profit on the Treks/Whytes?

Cheers.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are talking bs, find a better shop.
  • alesupper
    Thanks, I thought as much.
    supersonic wrote:
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    alesupper wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Does the shops name rhyme with "Mealface" ?
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • alesupper
    Indeed it does. Have you had the same thing?
    pastey_boy wrote:
    alesupper wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    alesupper wrote:
    Indeed it does. Have you had the same thing?
    pastey_boy wrote:
    alesupper wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Not myself but a friend went in there and had his head filed with nonsense .
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why not arm yourself with lots of facts and figurse and reviews and then when they claim this call their BS out publicly, make sure the shop is full when you start.

I guess they have a lower margin on Cubes!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • alesupper
    Life is too short! I just won't by my bike from them.
    Why not arm yourself with lots of facts and figurse and reviews and then when they claim this call their BS out publicly, make sure the shop is full when you start.

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

That.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • plasma_man
    plasma_man Posts: 129
    Latest Review in MBR puts the Cube ltd pro at the bottom of the pile, mainly due to a terrible rigid bone shaking frame and poor fork. Maybe they read the review and use it to shift bikes that may be harder to sell.

I have 2013 ltd sl 29 and love it, I can't related any of the negative comments mbr made to my bike so either the crap fork brings the whole bike down or they are talking bs...or are extremely nit picky? Comments like "having to climb out the saddle it's so uncomfortable" I really don't believe any of it.

Not sure what the general thoughts about mbr reviews are, but I bet there is a copy lying in the shop!
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    My LBS sell Cube (amongst others) and while they've not actually slagged them off, two of the guys I've spoken to there were both of the opinion that, while well specced, when it comes to frame and suspension linkage design, the Cubes are lagging behind manufacturers like Giant or Trek, with designs that aren't as supple (particularly in the first part of the suspension's stroke). They didn't say don't buy one, but (at a price point of around £1500 and above) their opinion was definitely to look toward other manufacturers. I've never ridden one, so wouldn't know myself.
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    Whyte are famed for making excellent bikes, and while they make some lower end stuff now, their frame designs have generally been cutting edge. In my opinion Cube are a fine manufacturer but lack the edge of certain brands, but then I also feel like that about trek...
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • Sheppy
    Sheppy Posts: 140
    My LBS also stocked Cube and others, when I was buying a FS 29er just over a year ago they said Cube were good, but not as good as Giant. They also said the difference was in the suppleness of the first part of the suspension stroke on the rear. Seems to be a fairly consistent message. Perhaps it's a Giant conspiracy :D Sorry, I'll get my coat...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Same message I hear about Halfords, Decathlong etc - some dealers don't like the cheaper brands stealing the big brands thunder and margins.
  • slindborg
    slindborg Posts: 98
    One of my lbs's also slammed cubes and even said they were not selling them anymore.

They also sold whites and specialized....
    Even had a lbs slate cube and they didnt even sell them, but they were trying to flog poor spec meridas instead :lol:

Maybe I will put a cube back on my list,
  • alesupper
    Well I have been very happy with my Cube Reaction Pro. The only problem I have had was with the freehub and that was replaced under warranty.
    slindborg wrote:
    One of my lbs's also slammed cubes and even said they were not selling them anymore.

They also sold whites and specialized....
    Even had a lbs slate cube and they didnt even sell them, but they were trying to flog poor spec meridas instead :lol:

Maybe I will put a cube back on my list,
  • I loved my Cube.. Wish I didn't have to sell it.

Having said that Cube's appear to be getting more expensive and the Merida's taking over Cubes value for money
  • alesupper
    Thanks to everyone for there input into this subject. Having already owned a Cube I bit the bullet and bought another.

http://www.cube.eu/en/hard/cross-countr ... sl-29-red/

Going into the Lakes on it tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Had this from my lbs dissing any brand that wasnt giant ie they only sell giant bikes , even dissing my £1200 gt sensor 4 as a budget bike when as stock it was better specced than their trance x4 , wouldnt mind but they where doing a job on it at the time .
    needless to say when looking at 29er s recently they tried to steer me towards a talon 1 for a grand which cant match the spec of my £750 boardman comp 29er plus i put hope wheels on so have a far better bike for a grand .

it doesnt matter about the name on it just the spec and hopefully that it looks good so you wash it occsionally !
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • alesupper wrote:
    Thanks to everyone for there input into this subject. Having already owned a Cube I bit the bullet and bought another.

http://www.cube.eu/en/hard/cross-countr ... sl-29-red/

Going into the Lakes on it tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it.

That looks stunning. You can't beat the Cube styling.

Enjoy your ride today
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    This is why the last bike I bought in a shop was in 2004.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • alesupper
    Thanks very much. We did a cracking 25 miler in the Lakes around Ambleside/Landale area and the 29er was brilliant I have to say :D
    That looks stunning. You can't beat the Cube styling.

Enjoy your ride today
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Must say I've heard a few people (including folk given the bike for free) saying that the Cube frames left a little to be desired. They do look good on paper, but it's interesting to know.
  • steviecapt
    steviecapt Posts: 70
    just goes to show op, you shouldnt listen to the bs given out in some bike shops, i had the same problem when i bought my boardman, salesman in other shops slagging off halfords and boardman bikes, had the last laugh though 2 weeks after buying the boardman bike i took it to the shop who had priviously slagged them off to buy new pedals, i then asked the salesman to explain to me why the specialized bike he was trying to sell me was better than my boardman, he soon shut up lol, especially when i told him the price i got it for, the moral of this story is so long as the bike fits you and your happy with it who cares what names on the frame or what other people think, you would always get better advice on here than from any bike shop salesmen.btw good looking bike, hope you enjoy it lol
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    you would always get better advice on here than from any bike shop salesmen

Err... steady on there. Pretty much everyone here (see also other forums/mates/family) will just say their bike is the best, if they liked another bike more they'd have bought it, and much of the advice is just plain wrong! Plenty of regurgitated opinion passed off as fact too.

It's a reasonable source of information here, but as with any other source I'd treat any of it with a pinch of salt.
  • steviecapt
    steviecapt Posts: 70
    depends what they say about thier bikes and how much you want to spend, i,d much rather listen to people who actually own the bike i,m interested in rather than a salesman trying to flog me the stock they have in at the time lol
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I have a Cube hardtail. I have ridden many other budget hardtails - couple of Carreras, Couple of Konas, Specialized etc. My Cube is different. I think better, some may not. It's definitely a lot more lively and twitchy and needs a bit more concentration. You could either say it is a) more fun, promotes better riding, more nimble or b) less comfortable, harder to ride, unforgiving. Depends if you are thinking positively or negatively.

As with all Cubes, the spec is hard to fault though, nothing came close when I was looking at all the other options for my budget.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    njee20 wrote:
    Plenty of regurgitated opinion passed off as fact too.

That's the internet for you, not just on here, lol...