1 x 10 Help needed

paulski1966
paulski1966 Posts: 98
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Building up my new bike as 1x10 and having a small issue - just offered the chain ring up to the crank and will not sit flush -

P6030555.jpg

P6030554.jpg

Am I best taking a small bit of the crank for the chain ring to sit flush (would normally suggest doing this to the chainring but its an on one stainless steel one, so removing the extra material will most likely be a pain).

Comments

• thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I'd get in touch with On-One first, may be faulty or not campatible.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Common issue, just get a file on the tabs of the chainring until it fits.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Common issue, just get a file on the tabs of the chainring until it fits.

Cheers for that - I'll give it a bash - although suddenly a stainless chainring doesn't seem like such a good idea! An ali one would be a crap load easier to file :D
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    I'd email OnOne the photos first as that looks like a good 1/1.5mm you'd have to take off which would bring it very close to the bolt hole.

(Could be the photo perspective I guess)
  • The Rookie
    No closer to the bolt hole than on the chainring designed to fit those cranks.....

Not sure which combination of parts does it, but it's common and I've done it in teh past.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd use at least steel bolt holders too. Infact I'd use all steel, bolts too
  • The Rookie
    Why....filed correctly it will be working exactly as it was designed to be used, dimensions will all be the same and it could have be an ally chainring as well.....
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I run all steel on factory fitting rings so I would say that.
  • JohnBurt
    JohnBurt Posts: 94
    have you tried rotating it 90 degrees at a time it may fit one way - you never know.
  • The Rookie
    No it won't......
  • Cheers for the replys everyone. Took a dremel to it and carefully filed it back - all fitted now.