Swapping from a 42t to a 44t big ring worth it?

broona
broona Posts: 414
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought a Morewood Kwela 29er to use both on and off road, and potentially replace my racing bike when I go out with mates on their racing bikes.

Been out with them a couple of times, and I can easily keep up most of the time, except for top end downhill!

Where I thought the big ring was a 44t, it's actually a 42t, so I'm looking to swap it over to get a little more top end speed (mate's got an almost new 44t off his Zesty from when he went from 3x9 to 2x9, so I can get one for free!).

Questions now, will his 9 speed 44t Deore chainring be compatible with my 10 speed SLX crank and chain? If so, what will I need to adjust to make it all fit and work together? Cheers.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Probably not.

You only need to spin about 2.5% faster to have the same difference. Even if it does fit it is not worth it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Minimal change in gearing.

Will almost certainly fit the cranks, but you may need to adjust the front mech height and may need to lengthen the chain.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have a 52 on my road bike so good luck.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    cooldad wrote:
    I have a 52 on my road bike so good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

I've got 50/11 on my road bike, but I just don't enjoy riding it, hence buying the 29er as a compromise, like I say, it's fine most of the time as my mates aren't massively fit, just a little more top end speed would be nice every now and then, but if it's gonna be a hassle for not a lot of gain, I'll leave it be.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'd really want to jump to the trecking ratios (28/38/48) to make it worthwhile, 28/38 would still work offroad for most peopleand 48 would help on road.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.