move to Tonbridge, Kent?

Courage Monsieur
Courage Monsieur Posts: 534
edited June 2013 in The cake stop
Hello All

Am considering moving to Tonbridge, Kent.
Anyone have any experience of it, past or present? And how's the cycling round there?

Cheers

Comments

• barrybridges
    barrybridges Posts: 420
    Tonbridge is fairly close to me and I go there fairly frequently.

In generall it's quite nice, but like most places has good and bad bits. In the area generally people tend to look down slightly at Tonbridge as Tunbridge Wells' poor relation, but I wouldn't take any notice of that as it's just snobbishness on their part (it's referenced as Scumbridge quite often).

Cycling-wise, very nice. Lots of green spaces in the area; the whole Weald area up to Sevenoaks and the North Downs are easily accessible. Hilbenbrough, Paddock Wood, all very nice places.
  • barrybridges
    Oh, and not to plug or anything, but my day job is to run a website for people who want to research a property or area online, so would very much encourage you to have a look at www.propertydetective.com and let me have your thoughts! Will give you a good idea about schools, crime, demographics etc, but once you have a street or property in mind.
  • jkboxall
    jkboxall Posts: 79
    I come from that part of the world, and very much enjoy the cycling round there! Lots of lovely countryside to explore :)

I try to go back there every now and then with my bike, lovely.
  • Lycra-Byka
    Lycra-Byka Posts: 292
    It's an area I have considered moving to. I travel the whole of the uk and subconsciously seek nice areas to live. Tonbridge/wells is in my top 5. Nice countryside around and not too far from the big smoke. I've no idea on house prices or work but it seems a nice place, certainly for a cyclist.
    I do see quite a lot of cyclists around the area too which is a good sign.
  • Cheers guys. I'm thinking about it but the cost of the train season ticket is a downside.
  • barrybridges
    Why not consider Orpington then? Very well positioned and Tonbridge isn't that far, nor is the nice cycling countryside of Kent and the North Downs.

Plus it's the last station on the line, so you always get a seat, PLUS it's the first station in Zone 6 so your season ticket costs drop massively because you can get a TFL travelcard (and still use the Southeastern train).

I lived there for 2 years; nice place and everything you need really.

Boris Johnson's brother is their MP, which is about the only downside.
  • Interesting suggestion, Barry, thanks.
    Hadn't really thought about that. Saves £2K on the train ticket too. Within the M25 but then so's some good riding.
    Probs cheaper than Sevenoaks too.
  • barrybridges
    Massively cheaper than Sevenoaks. Sevenoaks really is one of the most expensive towns in the whole of the South East, excluding Tunbridge Wells maybe!

M25 is very easy to reach via A21, but it's really not far to some great cycling territory.

From where I used to live (Green Street Green, about a mile from Orpington town centre) I'd go out via Knockholt/Pratts Bottom and you'd find yourself less than 15 minutes from some great hills and scenery.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I went to Tonbridge. Once.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Went to Gravesend on the bike and it was decent cycling but pretty hilly. Not massive but they make their presence known.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    When i lived in the uk i passed through lots of times. I liked it. When i move back from mallorca I was hoping to go that way but its too expensive so i will go back to essex/suffolk border. Kent nowhere is far from some great cycling routes.