Single speed Rigid, I cant believe what I have been missing!

2»

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    My sentiments exactly.
    Dirt jumpers and slopstylzzorzzz riders are (I hope I'm not insulting your skills by making assumptions here) probably better at riding jumps than you are. BMX riders too, and 4X riders.
    They stick almost exclusively to hardtails.

I could explain, or I could just leave it at that.
    So why do they run front suspension? Like i've said, this sport is a hobby to me, i like to run suspension for comfort, not just traction. Makes it more enjoyable and less taxing on my body, particularly on drops and jumps.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    For traction on the front. Suspension is actually detrimental on a jump bike.
    you should try riding a rigid, or a BMX bike, or even hardtail, and hit some dropoffs. You won't notice a difference once you're over kerb sized drops.
    the rest of the time? Yeah, I abhor rigids. I rode them for enough years to not wish their return. That doesn't mean I didn't have fun on them though. And it's not as though dropoffs suddenly appeared with the advent of suspension.
  • bennett_346
    I know you don't need suspension for it, that's why BMXs exist, but it batters the hell out of you absorbing every big impact with your body and that's no fun to me. That's the point i'm getting at.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    No, you're blabbering. You're not making a point. You are however, missing the point.
  • bennett_346
    You're right, i'm completely missing the point. No idea what you're on about anymore.

What's so hard to understand about suspension = more comfort?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You're right, i'm completely missing the point. No idea what you're on about anymore.

What's so hard to understand about suspension = more comfort?
    Nothing.
    I just pointed out...
    a simple rigid bike is more than adequate to get you going on unless you want to be straight into big drops
    Suspension isn't there for drops.
    Then you went batsh1t.
  • bennett_346
    Eh whatever i'm not sure you understand how a conversation or debate works. I'd love to see you try to push a motion in government. You'd certainly earn the title of member of parliament.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Quite the glass house you've got there. Why are you so butthurt about learning what suspension is for? Why turn a passing comment into a personal attack? Why even try and debate something that's just a fact?
    Or, are you just trolling? That seems the only logical conclusion.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    had a rigid with zero suspension

now I've got a hard tail never had so much fun off road. probably going to get a full sus when I have things sorted out a bit more

a think full sus is best for jumps front suspension is gr8 for jumps and drops. but you really need something at the back otherwise its bad new for your groin if you sitting down or standing over the saddle. when going down lumps and over jumps. going down drops on my hardtail is fine for the front where the suspension is the back jus bounces off and doesn't really absorb the impact as well hence the need for a full suspension
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Seriously - you need suspension for your groin whilst sitting down over jumps? There is so much confusion in your post.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346

now I've got a hard tail never had so much fun off road. probably going to get a full sus when I have things sorted out a bit more

a think full sus is best for jumps front suspension is gr8 for jumps and drops. but you really need something at the back otherwise its bad new for your groin if you sitting down or standing over the saddle. when going down lumps and over jumps. going down drops on my hardtail is fine for the front where the suspension is the back jus bounces off and doesn't really absorb the impact as well hence the need for a full suspension
    Well no, there's no need for full suspension. It makes it more comfy but that's it...
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    That's a full suspension bike in my avatar, believe it or not.

It ain't for jumps...
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Flippin heck, I wish I had kept my mouth shut now!
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Nah, enjoy it by all means, I just wanted to correct the minor, but very common misconception.
    (you're still a sicko for enjoying rigid though :lol: )
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690

I don't want to get into an argument, but that is utter crap. i'm guessing you haven't been riding long? :?

if you're doing jumps or drops, then the best thing to do is drop the saddle. you don't have to/always have time. but as I've stated else where I ride a hardtail as my do it all bike. and I ride everything on it no problem. i'm not saying any other bike is bad. you just don't 'need' suspension as you've stated. it's all to do with learning to ride the right lines if you're rear end is just bouncing all over the place (I mean on the bike :lol: )

and full suspension isn't best for jumps. I have a hardtail jump bike with only 80mm of travel on the forks
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    Pogo sticks have suspension and they are good for jumps, ever tried a rigid pogo stick?
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Pogo sticks don't have dampers.
  • Quite the glass house you've got there. Why are you so butthurt about learning what suspension is for? Why turn a passing comment into a personal attack? Why even try and debate something that's just a fact?
    Or, are you just trolling? That seems the only logical conclusion.
    Brilliant mate :lol: