Frame material advice (possible new build)

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm gearing up slowly to getting a new frame for off road and converting my current one into a commuter. Ive been looking at the On-One Inbred and Scandal both nice frames and not expensive which is great for me as if its too expensive i wont want to take it out :lol:

Now bar the fact that obviously steels is heavier, move forgiving and springy than aluminum how differently do they ride? ive not had the chance to ride a steel frame so input or opinions on the two frames im looking at or others would be great.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Steel frames are usually heavier: but not always more forgiving or springier, is a total myth.

Both frames are good value, but only testing will see the differences. Both have some inherant 'give'.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've never ridden an Inbred but I've recently finished a Scandal build and I love it. Great ride, backside in the air xc bike but nicely chuckable.
  • No Sweat
    No Sweat Posts: 103
    I agree that the steel vs. aluminium 'comfort' argument is very overplayed and probably meaningless. Tyre size / Tyre pressures are MUCH more related to comfort (and to a degree to handling) than frame material or design.

Steel frames are generally heavier than aluminium, but on a whole build represent a relatively small proportion of the bike. A couple of pounds of non-rotating weight is largely irrelevant, unless you are a racing snake with body fat of 5%. A litre of water in your backpack is a kilo (2.2lb).

The only way to know if the frame is right for you is to ride one with a similar build to the one you want (and check all the pressures).
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    It's not as simple as "steel flexy and comfy, ally rigid and harsh". Modern manufacturing and clever design can build a desirable amount of flex into stiff aluminium frames where it's advantageous.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The difference is not the 'spring' or flex between steel and ally, it's that steel has a higher internal hysteresis which creates a damping effect, ally will tend to 'twang back' more, not more or less comfortable, just different.

The reputation for harsh ally frames came from the early days when they were a new tech competing with steel tech with years of development behind it, needless to say it took a few years to equalise out!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    Seems pretty conclusive, i think i know someone who has a Scandal so ill have a word see if i can take it for a spin
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    The difference is not the 'spring' or flex between steel and ally, it's that steel has a higher internal hysteresis which creates a damping effect, ally will tend to 'twang back' more, not more or less comfortable, just different.

The reputation for harsh ally frames came from the early days when they were a new tech competing with steel tech with years of development behind it, needless to say it took a few years to equalise out!

Dunno if it's been similar in the MTB world, but in motorcycling after the advent of ally frames the manufacturers chased stiffer and stiffer designs until, some years back, they got too stiff, causing handling problems, and manufacturers realised that a certain amount of flex, in the right places was desirable, and frame design is now a very complex science (where 25 years ago it was just a case of welding a few steel tubes around an engine).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    manufacturers didn't chase stiffer frames for MTB, they started stiff (no butting and thicker than necesary to be on the safe side) and have improved them since, reducing weight and stiffness (on a HT a crucial factor, less so an FS !)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    Had a word with someone i know who has one hes going to let me have a ride on his Scandal its a 16" which may be a bit small but itll give me an idea how it feels.
    The Geo is pretty much the same for the steel and Alu ones main difference ive seen is the max fork travel, would this owe partly to the fact its a small head tube and also the characteristics of the metals?