London to Brighton..SPD's of flats?

Legobrickman
Legobrickman Posts: 36
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
So, Finally got the chance to do this years London to Brighton which I've wanted to to for years.
Problem is I've heard so horror stories of people having problems on the hills or just stopping for no good reason causing people behind to come off.
Some people have advised me to change to flat pedals for this one ride for the above reasons...What would you guys suggest?

Comments

• chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    What's your start time?
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would rather not do the ride than use flats personally.
    How about getting some pedals that are really easy to unclip from? What are you using?
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    SPD's all the way, but make sure you can cycle safely in them (fast unclip if you get someone stopping in fron tof you)
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    I've heard you simply won't get up the hills because of the wall of hundreds of people in front pushing their bikes up.

Not talking from experience here of course as I've never done it myself but I understand its not about setting a time because there's just too many people in the way so would it hurt to use flats?
  • A KIRK
    A KIRK Posts: 64
    If you have a post 8 am start then yes the hills will be hell. Anything earlier and you should be ok
    2010 GT Series 4 ultegra wheels & brakes
    2008 Claud Butler hard tail not very original any more
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    A KIRK wrote:
    If you have a post 8 am start then yes the hills will be hell. Anything earlier and you should be ok

It was really bad even with a 7.30 start last year. So I went for a 6am start this time :)

...which means I gotta ride 17 miles to the start line as the trains arent running :(
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Flats - its a social ride not a sportive, so equip accordingly.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Leave at 6 am, even if your start time is much later. Seriously, nobody's going to check.

I had an 8 am start last year and left at 6 am and nobody gave a toss!!

If you want to actually cycle up Ditchling Beacon then leave as early as possible.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I left at 8.30 I think (certainly no ealier) a few years back and managed to cycle up ditching on a tandem - it did take a lot of shouting to clear a way through the walkers, pushers and "so low geared they are pedalling without really moving forwards" brigade. I think first 30 miles took 4 hours weaving through traffic and 2nd half took 2 hours!

Nice to do once, but don't think I'd ever bother again, just too crowded and too much stop start.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Mod comments : - Post deleted.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    So, Finally got the chance to do this years London to Brighton which I've wanted to to for years.
    Problem is I've heard so horror stories of people having problems on the hills or just stopping for no good reason causing people behind to come off.
    Some people have advised me to change to flat pedals for this one ride for the above reasons...What would you guys suggest?

Some people are complete f'ing idiots.....

SPD's are easy to clip in and out of, if you can't clip in and out of them, don't f'ing use them, make up your own dumbass mind whether or not to use them!!!!! JEEEZZZZZ.... SO many stupid f'ing questions on here!

+ potato
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cookeeemonster

SPD's are easy to clip in and out of, if you can't clip in and out of them, don't f'ing use them, make up your own dumbass mind whether or not to use them!!!!! JEEEZZZZZ.... SO many stupid f'ing questions on here!

But...riding in the sort of crowds that the OP might have to is a totally different thing to normal riding. I find it easy to clip in and out and will happily ride with one foot clipped out for short distances while commuting if I'm flitering through traffic and am expecting an idiot to walk out in front of me without looking...but riding 54 miles clipped in with people weaving all over the place around you and stopping for no reason and with no warning in front of you could easily leave you in panic'd clipped in mode - i.e. next thing you know you're falling in slow motion in front of someone else who you're gonna take out...

I'll be riding clipped in as I'm starting early, but even before I saw this thread I did think it could cause problems if there were any congestion (there shouldn't be at the time I'm starting though)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just practice until you can unclip quickly. I cant think of any situation where SPD's wouldnt be far better than flats.

Even if someone stops suddenly you should still be able to get your foot down.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731

But...riding in the sort of crowds that the OP might have to is a totally different thing to normal riding. I find it easy to clip in and out and will happily ride with one foot clipped out for short distances while commuting if I'm flitering through traffic and am expecting an idiot to walk out in front of me without looking...but riding 54 miles clipped in with people weaving all over the place around you and stopping for no reason and with no warning in front of you could easily leave you in panic'd clipped in mode - i.e. next thing you know you're falling in slow motion in front of someone else who you're gonna take out...

I'll be riding clipped in as I'm starting early, but even before I saw this thread I did think it could cause problems if there were any congestion (there shouldn't be at the time I'm starting though)

What are you chatting about!? ....The London to Brighton isn't full of drunk cyclists :roll:
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    Had a look on Youtube. This clip is eerily quiet :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JbSQs83YVo
  • cookeeemonster

What are you chatting about!? ....The London to Brighton isn't full of drunk cyclists :roll:

Nope, it's full of people who haven't ridden since they were kids and thus, dont think about other cyclists when moving about/stopping suddenly. This is in the beginners section btw and I dont think we should assume that the OP is an experienced rider/sportive rider that will automatically clip out the millisecond something unexpected happens (though they might, apologies if so)
  • A KIRK
    A KIRK Posts: 64
    I can remember asking people to move out the way going up ditchling, although this year I might fail as it will be the first year I've done it on a road bike. Always used the Mtb in the past. I've still time to get some hill reps in and practice my climbing on the road bike.

Ill be leaving with the 6am people as always
    2010 GT Series 4 ultegra wheels & brakes
    2008 Claud Butler hard tail not very original any more
  • "Some people are complete f'ing idiots.....

SPD's are easy to clip in and out of, if you can't clip in and out of them, don't f'ing use them, make up your own dumbass mind whether or not to use them!!!!! JEEEZZZZZ.... SO many stupid f'ing questions on here!"

I never said i had any problem with them at all. All i was looking for was some advice...Isn't that what this forum is for?
    I've riden many Sportives but as people keep telling this is different.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    No it isn't. And if you've ridden many sportives then, quite frankly, you should be embarrassed at asking in the first place.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • tomhowells
    tomhowells Posts: 171
    Is it some people's time of the month or something? Got sand in your foo-foo?
    The guy asked a question in the BEGINNERS section of a forum for advice, not a shoeing! If you don't want to give advice because you think its a daft question, fine, don't, move on and bask in your superiority safe in the knowledge you were born wise and all knowing. And asking a question should never be embarrassing - not knowing the answer and not asking the question - that's embarrassing.

I'm doing it this year, and although I use SPD's, I have double sided pedals, so I will unclip and use the flats for the congested bits, and clip in for the bits that are less congested. I hope you have a great day & enjoy the social aspect of it all.
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • Thank you....
    Maybe i should re-state the issue.
    I've done sportives and im fine getting in and out of the clips. Problem is that with sportives and the such it's populated by people that can ride and are conciously aware of people around them and thier reactions to thier actions. The L2B isnt.
    As i've not done the L2B before do you run the risk of not clipping out in time in the congestion or just go flat to avoid it all together?
    My appologies if this is a Dumbass question.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Its just congestion (if it is congested), you just unclip then clip back in, or walk.
    Just get off and walk up if its that bad.

Leave early enough and you should be fine.
    Do not see why you would chose to ride the vast majority of it badly just to make a small section possibly a little easier.

I barely made it cycling up one year I did it and could have walked up faster. It was a bit of a laugh looking back on it, trying to find a line through all the walkers.
    I do not remember being clipped in as a problem and thinking, damn, should have worn my trainers :?
  • Well, with a 7am start clips it is then.