First Audax

ianspeare
ianspeare Posts: 110
I have my first Audax style ride next week- A 50k all for charity. Just wondering what to expect from the day from start (signing on) to finish (line) I've never done a sportive either , so I'm new to all of it. I have done a couple of club rides, so I know how to ride in a group.

Comments

• I'm a newbie to Audaxing, I've done a 100 km and two 200k events. Audax events vary depending on who is organising them but the main difference between an Audax and a Sportive is that you are expected to be self sufficient regarding navigation and mechanical breakdowns. Some events provide food at Controls, others don't but it's always made clear in the joining instructions. Some events provide GPS routing, but all I have done have had routesheets with turn by turn instructions. These provide more than enough information to get around the route but it's advisable to have a map covering the route as well in case you take a wrong turn and don't have gps. Your route sheet will guide you between the controls, on a 50k there won't be that many, also you may have info controls which aren't manned but will ask a question at the location which you wouldn't be able to answer without being there (google streetview excepting!) e.g. on the signpost, how far to Salisbury?
    You may find yourself riding alone, the first 200k I did there were only 9 riders, that said I was often in sight of other riders and rode the last 100k with an experienced Audaxer who kept me motivated! Although the idea of Audax is self sufficiency, all the people I've met have been the nicest bunch you could hope to meet. HTH
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    My experience of my only audax (so far) was entirely positive. I don't know if your ride will have minimum and maximum speeds but if so they are generous (it was 15kph minimum on the one I did) which is more relaxed than many sportives. I also found it to be very friendly, but like Arthurscrimshaw based on self reliance.

Hope you have a good ride :)
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    At "sign on" you will be given a Brevet card. This is supposed to be stamped at the "controls" or checkpoints.

On a 50km ride this is needless bureaucracy but the cards are used due to the history of AUK as a qualifying body for the Paris-Brest-Paris.

There will be a start, which is usually in a big group in a car park. There is usually no jockeying for position. The ride will go off. Be sure to read the route sheet and follow it yourself. On the shorter distance rides there are usually loads of people who confidently go the wrong way. Don't follow them, use the route sheet.

At the control there will be some kind of food and a person stamping cards. Controls can be anywhere, on the shorter rides village halls are common.

At the finish, you sign your card and hand it in. In a few months time you will get the card back in the post.

See my blog (link below) for more stuff about audaxing. You might like to have a quick look at the "Audax A-Z" so that when the cool kids talk about "triple A points" you will be "in" on the stupid jargon.

Hope this helps
  • neilrobins
    neilrobins Posts: 102
    Everything Vorsprung says.
    His tip re Alpac dry bags was a life saver on last years solo leJog
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Doing my first tomorrow, 100k from launceston to port Isaac and looking rather hilly but looking forward to it... And only a fiver to enter!
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Doing my first tomorrow, 100k from launceston to port Isaac and looking rather hilly but looking forward to it... And only a fiver to enter!

Good luck, should be worth some AAA points then!
  • ianspeare
    All done without too much incident-1 wrong turn and dropping my card once. Taping it to the handlebars next time. Already eyeing that one up!

Must say great value for money compared to sportives. This one was £12 & the next one £7 with all profits going to charity. A sportive with a similar route was charging £30+ and stated that this was just to cover the cost of the event and that all sponsorship must be raised individually
  • Mikey23
    Mine was a very enjoyable experience too. The climbing was brutal in places but that's Cornwall! I went around with two others and I liked the problem solving element in making sure you have the right route. Good team building too. Not possible to do fast times as stopping pretty much at every turn point but I think that isn't What its about. And all for a fiver plus two for the temp membership and the starting venue supplied two coffees and a cake for free to the riders. And met some local riders and may have some new buddies to ride with. I'm a fan!
  • ianspeare
    That's exactly how I feel…I used to do orienteering, so there's that aspect that I enjoy. Found a few other people that were going around the same pace. I did put the hammer down towards the end though! Food at the start & end too. I was also surprised at the inclusivity- lots of range in age, both sexes and all manner different bikes
  • Mikey23
    Got burned by a grizzled old warrior on a rusty hybrid and a leather saddlebag up the last climb... But not too fussed!