Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Because he'll look like a kiddie fiddler?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • focuz
    focuz Posts: 150
    Jheez.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    He's asked me to tell him why not.
    Because he can get a BSO for a lot less.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    you need to reassess who your friends are
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Cruiser bike for the cruising bars eh KB .....?

Just saying
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Because he should be going for the Ghostrider 3i

B4748.jpg
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    For £80 more he could have got a Scott CR1 frame which would have been more fun to look at than that thing probably is to ride!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    kelsen wrote:
    Because he should be going for the Ghostrider 3i

B4748.jpg

Sadly, still better than the Nic Cage film of the same name.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,958
    Is it a recumbent?

Or is it designed to go down very steep hills?
  • You see that bike? That's your best friends bike, that is. That's the bike your bestest friend in the whole wide world rides.

:lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How long have you got to present the reasons why not, a full presentation I can see taking about 4 hours given the abomination I see before me, a summary will take at least 20 minutes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    A new bike needs a new outfit to go with it.

31K7F0sjajL._SX300_.jpg
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Has anyone actually got a serious reason why not? (however funny the rest of the answers have been)

I did actually point out that he'd never climb a hill in it, it's severely limited in what it can do, looks utterly ghey and is the wrong answer to his obvious requirement for a relaxed geometry.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    They weigh a ton - our nearest Cycle King sells them and I've had a closer look.

The posture that the design forces the rider to adopt is at odds with efficient cycling so he'll never do more than a handful of miles on it, and will ache from ever pore (is that right?) afterwards.

It looks absolutely stupid.

It's aimed at kids who know no better.

Cycle King sell them.

Nobody will be impressed, like people are with Uber-light bikes or top-line groupsets. People will point and laugh.

Cycle King sell them.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Does he have a logical side that you could appeal to?
    If so, suggest that if this design is so wonderful, ergonomic & ground-breaking, why haven't any of the major bike brands produced something similar, other than in the 5-7 y.o. Category?

Failing that, try 'shopping a clown onto the image.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    Because he'll ride it once and never ride it again. If he wants something relaxed by an old man's town bike. It will be more comfortable and easier to ride.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    These Electra's (an american brand, obviously) are marketed as a beach style cruiser, in that you ride up and down the beach in California at a 'relaxed' pace and do whatever.

If your mate wants one to cruise beaches or the local park with the kids (his kids!!) then good luck to him, he'd look a tw*t on a road bike in that scenario, but they're really not meant for much more than that.

I sat on one once (not the above) and the handlebars are bloody enormous, but the riding position was pretty comfortable and so was the seat. You couldn't commute on it unless you live next to a beach though.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    because it's so upright, as soon as there is a headwind the combined weight and wind-break effect will grind him to a halt

because the (bouncy uncomfortable, funny shape) saddle is set so far back from the pedals it will be inefficient
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    KB, you're making an assumption here that it's the wrong choice. If your BFF is anything like the guy on this video, then perhaps it's the right choice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmuNXdnkyjM
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why not...
    Inefficient pedaling position.
    Saddle to close to cranks so knee pain a certainty
    Front suspenion when 90% of the rider weight is on the back wheel means it weighs even more than the very heavy it weighs anyway.
    If you want a cruiser style there are better ones (rigid forks, better colours etc)
    HEAVY
    3 miles at a max speed of about 6mph and on the flat is about the limit.
    get either
    1/ Dutch style bike (still heavy)
    2/ Upright Hybrid
    3/ Upright Hybrid with a womens old fashioned style dropped top tube if he wants to 'step through'.

Heck he could even get a Pendleton and look less daft! (dear God Victoria, what inspired you to sign THAT contract!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.