Which new brakes?

lee woodhams
lee woodhams Posts: 70
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
I've Sram avid 3's which are doing my head in, endless servicing and squealing, over heating, tried new pads, rotors, lots of time trying to sort them out but i'm going to bin them.

Having matchmaker brackets i need a lever that can take this system to take my gear levers.

I cant see any other option than Hope's, but which ones? Or what would you get?

Cheers.

Lee

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Why do you still need to use matchmaker? You can put any brake you like on.
  • Proper neat though :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shimano. Model dependant on budget.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • looking at XT brakes too.

are the Hopes worth the extra tho?
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    looking at XT brakes too.

are the Hopes worth the extra tho?

No.

Shimano Deores are excellent, and for less than 90 quid a pair, unbeatable value (and much better than the Avid 3s). SLX are even better, but you pay that bit more for it. XT's are more money still, and I'm not sure they're worth the extra over the SLX - they are easier to get hold of, though.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Many thanks
  • Can anyone find a sram X7 gear trigger clamps for sale, so i can use non matchmaker brakes? cheap plastic ones, i can only find ebay ones.

Lee
  • Avid XO trail carbon. Simply the best brake I've ever used!
  • Or anyone got any spare ones?
  • botch
    botch Posts: 15
    I switched from Juicy 3's to Shimano Deore M596's last summer. Got rid of the Juicy's for the same reasons as you. The Shimano's are fantastic and have so far been extremely reliable, save for a crap bleed carried out by a lbs after shortening the hose on installation. Everyone had pads in stock for them which is also a bonus.

Merlin cycles do them for £90 - http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/brakes/disc-brakes/shimano-disc-brakes/shimano-deore-m596-disc-brake-set-front-rear.html
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    I've been running Hope x2's for about 2 years. Never had any problems with them. Think the rear pads lasted about 2,000 miles and the front ones double that.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • I think i'm going to go for SLX's, seem to be great VFM, plus real people not mag reviews saying how good they are.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    While other issues may be related to tjhem being Avids, the overheating won't be!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Having one final try at making the Avids work, and touch wood it may of done.

Had a quick dash up the road and back, on the flat though so not getting much heat into them, but no squealing, good feel and bite with no grab. like a brake should be.

I've rounded the edges of the pads off, i've been using uberbike sintered pads, so the wear rate is very good. so the idea was to take away the sharp edge. using a needle file to round all 4 edges off. Will be back on here to update after a proper ride.