Superstar Switch...

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
So my shiny new German AM/Enduro frame should be turning up this week :D (when I say shiny - I obviously actually mean, super-stealthy 8) http://www.bikester.fr/328811.html ) and I need to make sure the bits I have will fit.

The frame has been designed for a 135/12mm bolt-through axel

I currently have a Stan's Flow/Switch Evo with a 10mm adapter (and QR). So am I right in thinking all I need to order from Superstar is;

a Switch Rear 12mm Adapter;
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=222
12mm%20adaptor%20for%20rear%20switch%20hub.jpg

and a 135/12mm axel;
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=405
135-axle.jpg

Or are there better axel options from other suppliers that I should be looking at?

Cheers.
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    yep correct adaptor and axle. But check if the frame comes with an axle. My Transition Bandit frame came with one.
  • felix.london
    jairaj wrote:
    yep correct adaptor and axle. But check if the frame comes with an axle. My Transition Bandit frame came with one.

Will do. Cheers for that. Relentlessly tracking the consignment - hopefully will turn up today.

And I'm presuming to remove the current (Switch) adapter, it's that tiny little grub/hex screw in the freehub that I need to undo?

Trek Session 8
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Use some cone spanners to unscrew the end caps. I think the drive side cap is fixed to the axle so the non drive side will screw off. Then tap the axle out. I've also seen some Superstar adaptors that use allen keys in the hole where the skewer goes.

Its a 2 min job. When I changed my axle I reserved a couple hours in the evening to attempt to do it. I was pleasently surprised when it was all done in minutes :-)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    It was cone spanners on a Switch hub I converted from QR to thru axle. I know that there has been about 3 versions of Switch hub so it could the little screw so it will be a case of try it out. As jairaj said I was surprised how easy it all was took me 10 minutes tops.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • felix.london
    Cool. It's a set of the Flows/Switch £200 deal from last year - so the new type I guess

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some of them use an internal allen key slot, NOT a cone spanner flat......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.