Advice, Maybe help needed!

ammo0_0
ammo0_0 Posts: 7
edited June 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi, I'm a 30 yr old guy, 5ft 11" slim build.

I started riding again after years of not... And I have reignited my childhood past time, which I love. I was given a Carrera Subway 2 Hybrid bike. Best bike I have owned to date! :(

My friends and I going mountain biking around our local area, we have varying bikes from a specialized stumpjumper fsr, to Carrera Kracken 2012 model, then me!!!

So, looking at their bikes, i needed to work on mine! I changed the chainset to 3. New Discs and Pads, Front derailleur to sram and front shifter, Sram Sx5 I think. Changed the wheels and tyres for off road. Kept the Machanical Tektro Io Bakes. I got rid of the suspension saddle as i found it bounced me around somewhat! I have a normal seatpost now, I sourced some front forks from Ebay, due to budget.... Was made unemployed a few months ago. I ended up with some RST Launch forks, not brilliant, but better than nothing!

However.... Thats where my problem began, I have had a few hairy moments going on some downhill trails and a few steep drops and up hill, i get bounced around... The latest drop threw me off the bike... I felt the Suspension compress and force me back up into a kinda wheelie, which in turn sent me back forward and off!! My friend said it looked like the bike got under me too much he mentioned the headset angle could be too far back due to me putting 100mm travel forks on, which are 2 1/2" longer than my original forks.... Estimating the headset angle to be somewhere around 60 degrees.

So, I now have a dent in my confidence on this bike.

Bearing in mind the components I have, what would be a good hardtail frame to look out for on ebay with a low budget of roughly £50.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Anything made by Merida.
  • ammo0_0
    What size?? 19"?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds like the forks are the biggest problem - don't know the model but presume undamped so they work like pogo sticks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ammo0_0
    Yes, they are quite basic.... SO i need more money then i assume?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wrong bike to try and turn into a full on MTB though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ammo0_0
    Any cheaper frames you'd recommend, is there any other place than ebay to find some?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nothing wrong with the frame, it is the same Merida made (please Note Chunkers) frame as the Carrera hardtails (Kraken, vulcan, Fury) the geometry will cope just fine with 100mm or even 120mm forks.

Sounds like either a Fork or rider problem, if you are getting kicked up like that, it sounds like your butt is in the one place it shouldn't be, the saddle!

Check link in my sig for what you could do with the frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ammo0_0
    Ha Ha, no my arse was no where near the saddle, I was right over the back of the bike. It was kinda like a pogo stick.... I suppose ideally i would need a new frame and some decent shocks, But my pre mentioned factor is money.... Shame, i'll have to wait until i can save some up.

No Joy on e bay or police auctions as yet
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd focus on getting some decent forks, my Manitous set me back just over £50 delivered, air sprung pedal platform, adjustable rebound and less than 1.5Kg.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ammo0_0
    Sounds like thats what i'm going to concerntrate on! Thanks!

If anyone one here has any forks and/or a frame going let me know and we can maybe work something out!

Thanks again
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Isnt the RST Launch an entry level jump bike fork? I was reading the reviews on them as i was conisdering getting one, and they are god awful.

It might be a good idea to sell your forks, save up a little more, and go for a fork thats much more lighter and well suited to what you need it for.