Smartphone v computer advice required

motogull
motogull Posts: 325
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
First post...

Hi. I'm a born again cyclist now wanting to monitor my rides more closely to see where I can get my times down as I do relatively constant training rides. I don't have much need for a mobile phone but have a basic one. I don't have spare cash for a phone on a big contract either.

I've been offered a used blackberry and been told about Sports Tracker and Fitness Tracker. Can I run these on a PAYG sim as a cost effective way forward, or is the reality that I need a computer at a simple one off cost?

Any comments will be gratefully received. Well, unless they are rude that is. :D

Comments

• handful
    handful Posts: 920
    My boss has a Blackberry and uses it with Strava. Not fantastic but it does track his rides and progress fairly well.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    A simple wired computer is all you need - CatEye and Sigma Sport (my choice) offer plenty of inexpensive options.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    A simple wired computer is all you need - CatEye and Sigma Sport (my choice) offer plenty of inexpensive options.
    I suspect that "now wanting to monitor my rides more closely to see where I can get my times down" means they want a GPS recording system to allow them to upload detailed ride data to a web site for analysis. The cheapest dedicated cycle computers with GPS are the the Garmin Edge 200 and the Bryton Ryder 20 both around £99.

Sorry I can't help you with Blackerry apps.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    The apps shouldn't use any PAYG credit, they use the GPS signal, though the phone will probably need a SIM card to work. I usually put my android phone into airplane mode to help save battery life, and still get all the data I do when it's fully turned on. Then upload via wifi when I get home
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Gizmodo wrote:
    I suspect that "now wanting to monitor my rides more closely to see where I can get my times down" means they want a GPS recording system to allow them to upload detailed ride data to a web site for analysis. The cheapest dedicated cycle computers with GPS are the the Garmin Edge 200 and the Bryton Ryder 20 both around £99.

Sorry I can't help you with Blackerry apps.

I suspected so, but you could just keep an eye on actual speed and time elapsed, moving average and/or cadence; depending on what your computer allows. People who take up cycling these days are too quick - as with many things - to think that they 'need' these gadgets. It shouldn't take a GPS computer (disregarding the accuracy debate) to help you figure out where you're losing time!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I think sales of non-gps bike computers must be going through the floor. Most folk I see at work haven't got one and rely on smartphones stashed away in a back pocket. Of course once you get serious about training you can go straight for a heart rate / gps / cadence computer.
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Thanks chaps, plenty to think about. As I was reminded tonight, gadgets will be naff all use trying to get me going faster riding into the wind.
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    I started off using my smartphone in saddle bag but quickly decided it was a bit of a faff and I wanted to have speed etc. in front of me so went for a Garmin Forerunner 310XT with bike mount.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Motogull wrote:
    First post...

Hi. I'm a born again cyclist now wanting to monitor my rides more closely to see where I can get my times down as I do relatively constant training rides. I don't have much need for a mobile phone but have a basic one. I don't have spare cash for a phone on a big contract either.

I've been offered a used blackberry and been told about Sports Tracker and Fitness Tracker. Can I run these on a PAYG sim as a cost effective way forward, or is the reality that I need a computer at a simple one off cost?

Any comments will be gratefully received. Well, unless they are rude that is. :D

If you want to track your rides then by far the best for this is Strava, as you can set segments (public and private) and track your progress over these parts of your route.

There's Strava apps for iPhone and Android but you don't need one of these, any GPS logging tool will do. Here's some examples: viewtopic.php?p=16763186
    Or you can buy a GPS equipped computer like this: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bry ... 6#features