Voodoo Hoodoo 2011/2012 vs 2013/2014

Smouser
Smouser Posts: 4
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi
Just as the title suggests which one is better? I cannot seem to find any reviews on the 2013/2014 bike as of yet.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &msg=#tab1

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#tab1

The main differences I can spot is the Tektro Auriga Comp hydraulic disc brakes vs Tektro Gemini hydraulic disc brakes and Suntour Raidon X1 air suspension fork vs Suntour Raidon X3 coil suspension fork

Can anybody advise on which one to go for?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I prefer the adjustability of air so I'd take the older one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • StfcJon
    StfcJon Posts: 3
    I am having exactly the same problem. The Hoodoo is without doubt the best bike in its price range for spec, was looking to spend around £500 on a hardtail and looked at bikes by Cube, Scott, Bianchi and Giant, all reputable brands but the spec was nowhere near, neither were the reviews!

A few points worth noting would be that 1. The new Hoodoo still looks like one hell of a machine for the price, you'd be hard pressed to get a bigger name brand with this spec for less than £700. 2. The availability of the old Hoodoo is now seemingly very limited, my size (18") was only available at a Halfords store 40 miles away from me, whereas the new one is in stock at all 3 stores within a 20 mile radius of my house so therefore much more attainable. 3. Voodoo's entry level 2011/12 hardtail the "Bantu" is still in stock everywhere as it seems they won't be releasing a new model, not sure as to how it compares with the new Hoodoo, but it works out £90 less (£379.99) bought on the web and £100 less (£399.99) than the store price. Looking at the spec of the thing, it is still easily comparable to any bigger brand bike up to around £600. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than myself would be able to shed some light on whether to plump for the Bantu? Or whether the new Hoodoo really is £90 better?
  • StfcJon
    StfcJon Posts: 3
    The smaller they are, the further they fly
    StfcJon wrote:
    I am having exactly the same problem. The Hoodoo is without doubt the best bike in its price range for spec, was looking to spend around £500 on a hardtail and looked at bikes by Cube, Scott, Bianchi and Giant, all reputable brands but the spec was nowhere near, neither were the reviews!

A few points worth noting would be that 1. The new Hoodoo still looks like one hell of a machine for the price, you'd be hard pressed to get a bigger name brand with this spec for less than £700. 2. The availability of the old Hoodoo is now seemingly very limited, my size (18") was only available at a Halfords store 40 miles away from me, whereas the new one is in stock at all 3 stores within a 20 mile radius of my house so therefore much more attainable. 3. Voodoo's entry level 2011/12 hardtail the "Bantu" is still in stock everywhere as it seems they won't be releasing a new model, not sure as to how it compares with the new Hoodoo, but it works out £90 less (£379.99) bought on the web and £100 less (£399.99) than the store price. Looking at the spec of the thing, it is still easily comparable to any bigger brand bike up to around £600. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than myself would be able to shed some light on whether to plump for the Bantu? Or whether the new Hoodoo really is £90 better?
  • Smouser
    I bought the 2011/2012 Voodoo Hoodoo today. I just do not know enough about bikes to "blindly" buy the new voodoo.
    The "old" Voodoo seems like a nice bike, a lot better than I am used to anyway. I have not had a bike for the last 8 years and they were always really cheap bikes £150 or so just to commute with.

Goodluck in your decision making
  • JonesNick
    JonesNick Posts: 33
    I got my 2011/12 model on Thursday. If I was you go get it asap as the stocks are near enough gone and once there gone there gone.
    The 2011/12 has remote lock out on the handle bars which is an amazing thing to have so much easier.
    I've read up abit about the new and old model and every agrees the new model has been downgraded due to price increase on part so you get less for your 500 quid!
    Hope this help
  • Smouser
    JonesNick wrote:
    I got my 2011/12 model on Thursday. If I was you go get it asap as the stocks are near enough gone and once there gone there gone.
    The 2011/12 has remote lock out on the handle bars which is an amazing thing to have so much easier.
    I've read up abit about the new and old model and every agrees the new model has been downgraded due to price increase on part so you get less for your 500 quid!
    Hope this help

Can you link some reviews of the 2013/2014 bike please. I couldnt find any.