Day of many firsts and Supplements = Best ride ever.

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Today was a day of many firsts for me, some small, some big but they equaled to being the best cycle ride ive ever had.

Firstly, I met with a guy called Ken Tye from the Redditch Cycle Club who at 80 years old is quite simply a tank of a man with a will to cycle like no other. He was so pleasant and a true gent, he knew the roads like he had a GPS device in his head, even down to potholes etc. He took me under his wing and the result was without doubt a wonderful morning/mid afternoon.

Today I was using many firsts, including shorts, sleeveless top, fingerless gloves and drink with High5 Zero X'treme tablet and most importantly, an Ultegra 50/34 chain set.

I had purchased the clothing, including shorts, top and gloves from Dubai at believe it or not, half the price of the UK, its the first time ive used a well known brand choosing Castelli and the difference (reluctantly) is massive, I usually get a sore backside around 35k but at 60k today I was fresh as a daisy.
The idea of having my legs, arms and fingers open to the air was good but took some getting used too as I felt very cold in the driving wind even though it was hot. I soon got used to it and was much better overall.

I used a drink supplement for the first time also, choosing the High5 tablets which really did the trick, I mixed the water with blackcurrent juice first and then added the tab and the end result was a refreshing drink that really did the trick, I felt much stronger throughout the ride and it may be placebo but never the less, I felt better which is all that really counts.

Lastly, it was my first ride with the new chain set, I had changed because I was struggling with hills and was told going down a few teeth would do the trick and OMG!!! the ride was sooooo much better and comfortable, I managed all the hills with ease, some were a struggle but I never felt like getting off the bike which is great.
I managed my longest road ride ever so thats another milestone and I know I could have managed another 20-30k with ease.

http://app.strava.com/activities/57712822
Living MY dream.

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    nice one matey,looks a cracking ride and nice to read a positive happy report.Cycling as it should be....Fun.
    Onwards and upwards.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    I hope that octogenarian did not slow you down.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    nice one matey,looks a cracking ride and nice to read a positive happy report.Cycling as it should be....Fun.
    Onwards and upwards.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Have you got something wrong with the elevation on your garmin? Map looks very odd! Well done though.
  • VTech
    Have you got something wrong with the elevation on your garmin? Map looks very odd! Well done though.

Not that I know of although it did play up last week.
    What are you referring too ?
    Living MY dream.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    VTech wrote:

Looking at the Strava map, around 14 miles, looks vertical.
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    Nice one, well done VTech, sounded like a great ride !
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Nice one VTech, compact chainsets, can't beat 'em! :D (Not at my level anyway :oops: )
  • VTech wrote:

Looking at the Strava map, around 14 miles, looks vertical.

It was when you had a break.

If you go on your ride on strava, where it tells you elevation (I think there is a question mark next to it). you should be able to click the question mark and do an elevation correction from there.

Well done on your ride. I did my first sportive today (Sussex Surrey Scramble)and am very pleased to have completed it in a 'gold' time for my distance of 75 miles.
  • Dowtcha wrote:
    I hope that octogenarian did not slow you down.

I hope that he wheel sucked the old boy all the way round and then crushed him in the sprint finish :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    Well done VTech! :D
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    HiVTech,

What chain set have you changed to. .?

Thanks tony.
  • VTech
    I went from 53/39 to 50/34 and the difference is amazing.

The guy I was with does 10,000k per year but at 80 years old is not the fastest although he would have crushed me a couple of months ago.
    I was quicker but what made me chuckle was that whenever I pulled away as we climbed a hill and I slowed at the top as he came back, he was singing to himself all the time :)
    He was a genuine character, one I can't wait to go out with again.
    Living MY dream.
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    so an old peadophile drugged you, stripped you and you managed to escape half naked on your bike?

no wonder you were quick :)

joking of course, its amazing how much the right gear makes a difference.