Rounded allen bolt - Elixir 5 brake pin

gjt
gjt Posts: 38
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Looking for some advice on how to remove the brake pad pin from an Avid Elixir 5 caliper that now has a rounded bolt? I was thinking of maybe getting a hacksaw and trying to make a cut across the bolt so that I can then try to use a flat head screwdriver to remove it.

Just wondering if any of you guys have had a similar experience and how you fixed it.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Cut slot, ram in a torx bit or grab with mole grips.

Don't be so ham fisted ;-)
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Thats the way to do it - but before cutting try some long nosed pliers to unscrew it and in either case - carefully applied WD to help. Alt - hammer in an oversized torx screwdriver and as a last resort drill it.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would keep WD40 well away from the brakes, carefully applied or not.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gjt
    Cheers for the advice guys - will get stuck into it later on this evening, fingers crossed something will work! :)
  • levolon
    levolon Posts: 78
    hi

as you can see from the pic the thread is on the same side as hex head.
    http://www.bicyclehero.com/gb/avid-pad- ... tAoduTMABQ
    if it wont budge you can separate the caliper and grip the pad pin easily...
    you will need to re bleed but less chance of wrecking the caliper

hth
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    I had exactly the same problem, it was a pain. I cut a small slot into the head of the bolt (slow, slow work) and jammed a flat headed screwdriver in to turn it. Good luck!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Never done an Avid pad pin but managed to get a knackered pin out of a Hope Mono caliper once. Mixed up some liquid metal filled head of pad pin using a cocktail stick and then jammed a small torx key in. Left it overnight to set and in the morning it was just strong enough to turn the pin out
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    I had same problem with Avid pin. Used a pair of locking pliers
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • gjt
    Thanks for all the advice guys.......I was successful with the torx key and hammer method :D