First crash!

jkboxall
jkboxall Posts: 79
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Was unlucky enough to have my first crash today, after starting road cycling nearly a year ago!

Was going down a hill, and a car pulled out from a junction on the left, so I hit the brakes without realising the patch of loose gravel under my wheels! Whoosh, down I went! Lucky there wasnt any cars behind me, otherwise I dont think I wouldve come off as lightly as I did! Just plenty of road rash down my right side, a ruined pair of bib shorts and a jersey, and a bruised ego :D

Does anyone have any pro tips on road rash? Cleaned and TCP'd.

I'm just glad I put off changing my bar tape :D I was going to do it this morning!

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Sorry to hear that, did the driver offer help ?
    Living MY dream.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Pro tip for road rash - shave your legs. You have no idea how much it helps not having hair on the wound. Also , people have a subconscious habit of protecting the bike when they fall. Try and protect your hip. Most parts of the body can survive a bump but the hip is quite vulnerable.

Just keep any wounds clean as you would any cut. Leave it to air as they do take a while to scab over.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Keep em clean and open to the air. I use savlon spray and healing gel but once scabbed over I let nature do the rest.

Had my first proper off this week, first one in 30k miles and I'd say it is the wrists that are most vulnerable (after ego)!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,138
    now you're officially a roadie, good news is you don't have to do it again :-)

road rash - rinse well with clean water or wound wash to be sure all dirt/grit is gone

having been through it, including a stern talking to from the a&e after going there later than i should've (bang on the head)...

open air is not best for a wound, once a wound dries/scabs it'll take longer to heal and scarring/tightness is much more likely

tegaderm dressing is good, it's a stick-on plastic film, some chemists have it but you need to ask at the pharmacy counter, you heal fast and without scars

if it's a large area nip down to a&e, they'll have big sheets - i had patches about the size of a paperback book, really impressive how it worked

for smaller areas hydrocolloid/similar dressing sheets are also good, i found i had to secure those with micropore tape
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jkboxall
    Thanks for all the advice chaps!

The driver didnt stop, but a nice bus driver behind him did! In general, passers-by acted with general concern, a few people asking if I was okay and needed water/assistance. One car of young lads shouted at me "Who do you think you are? Bradley Wiggins??". At first I thought it was abuse, but perhaps they were actually quite clued up on Wiggo's knee injury..

My leg/hip area is doing fine! Still quite sore, but looking on its way to recovery. My shoulder is a different story though. Particularly sore, and hasn't scabbed over yet, so keeping an extra eye on that one!

The most bizarre injury, probably quite familiar in cycling, but new to me, is bruised palms and finger-tips! Makes typing this up quite a chore :D
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have just got back out there after 4 weeks off due to a spill. Just road rash to my lower leg (just under the knee) but after the first 2 days it got really painful to stand and my leg movement reduced to about 20%. The scabbing made it far worse (you have no idea how much skin moves until it can not).

It took 3 weeks to be able to use the leg fully and the skin is still very pink and tender even now.

All I know is it seemed to take far longer now I am in my 40's than I ever remember it doing when I was under 20.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • jkboxall
    smidsy wrote:
    I have just got back out there after 4 weeks off due to a spill. Just road rash to my lower leg (just under the knee) but after the first 2 days it got really painful to stand and my leg movement reduced to about 20%. The scabbing made it far worse (you have no idea how much skin moves until it can not).

It took 3 weeks to be able to use the leg fully and the skin is still very pink and tender even now.

All I know is it seemed to take far longer now I am in my 40's than I ever remember it doing when I was under 20.

Glad to hear you're back in the saddle, Smidsy! :D

Today has been the worst day for my shoulder, but my leg/hip is doing okay!

My knee joint is quite sore when I walk.. hope I can sort this out before the London-Brighton next sunday!!