Wiggle Magnificat (Short: 44 miles)

moodynann
moodynann Posts: 2
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all, I’d like a little advice on the shorter Wiggle Magnificat route.

Here’s the low down, will try to keep to the point. My partner recently decided to take up cycling, been riding for a few years myself. Got him a mountain bike from Decathlon which suits his build better than a road bike. He’s 5’11 and a big guy. We’ve fitted 1.5” Schwalbe City jets and Spd’s which he’s taken to with no problems.

About a month ago we started with 5 mile rides and can now manage 20-25 miles with relative ease. I know we can and will ride further. We’ve been riding locally around Virginia Water and Chobham which isn’t particularly flat. Bigger hills have been a challenge but I’ve seen big improvements over the last month. Our average speed is an honest 12.5mph but I know that can also be improved.

A couple of weeks back we got talking about sportives and decided we’d like to try the shorter Magnificat. It seems like a realistic goal and motivates us to get out and ride further.

Before we sign up, I’d be keen to hear from anyone who’s familiar with the short course. Are the hills relentless and will we arrive at the finish line to find everyone’s packed up and gone home? That said, we don’t care where we come, we’d just like to complete it. Also, would it be too much too soon? Think we can manage the distance but I’m just not so sure about the hills.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Please be honest!

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Hi and welcome :)

IMO you still have more than enough time to prepare, and looking at the route profile, it's not desperately hilly at only 1400ft or so. If you can get up to 30miles then you should make the distance reasonably easily. My first was 50miles but the 4500ft of climb was what finished me off by 30miles. I still dragged my way to the finish in about 5 hours.

You'll probably do it in about 4 hours or so, in the meantime, go for a bit more distance and keep going up the hills. :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    I live round there and ride parts of the route regularly. I would say there is only one tough climb and that's Combe Gibbet / Walbury Hill. It's not that long (about a mile) but very steep in places (15-20 % or so) luckily it seems that climb comes early - the rest of the short route is pan flat or gently rolling. I'd give it a go, the countryside is lovely round there and it looks a good day out