Pedals

Whufcrule
Whufcrule Posts: 131
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hi lads just wondered what everyone thought about time pedals at the moment I have speedplay light action pedals I'm thinking off trying some time xpresso 8 any one tried them good or bad stories?? Cheers in advance

Comments

• Hi
    Sorry to go off track a little but I also have the Speedplay Light Action pedals and just can't decide if I like them or not. My only other pedals were SPD'd and the Speedplay are an improvement but after 40 minutes I get terrible hot spots and have tried moving the platform everywhere. I have sent off for the extender base and hopefully a more midfoot position may help.
    Can I ask why you are thinking of abandoning your Speedplays ?
    Thanks - Mick.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,138
    desertman01 - the platform with speedplay is huge, if you're getting hotspots i think it's much more likely to be due to shoes (i.e. soles too flexy) and/or footbeds than the pedals
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks for that - yeah I have DMT Radial 2 shoes which are made for Speedplay and I believe are a very stiff shoe.
    I do need to try to heat and mould the insole but it does seem flimsy.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,138
    if the footbeds are mouldable and you haven't yet done it, that may be the cause of the problem

if that doesn't improve things, try the specialized bg footbeds
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Is there some point in changing to a different pedal? Other than buying another brand of pedal(they look different), I doubt you'll find anything about the new ones that the old ones don't or didn't have. They are pedals. They hold your shoes to the crankarm in the same position as most other pedals. There is NO big difference. Your foot and shoe need to be held in a fairly small range of positions with a bit of "float". This is what all pedals do.
  • Well last night had a go at moulding the insoles and went for an hour's ride this morning before work.
    It was Heaven I can't believe I have spent 4 months riding with pain and trying various insoles including some running orthotics I had made. I also changed saddle from a Selle SLR Superflow (a big hole with a little bit of leather) to a Selle Anatomica an old Brooks style leather saddle. It was amazingly comfortable right from the start - no wonder they have their own fan club named the "Happy Bottom Riding Club".