A grand

simonl83
simonl83 Posts: 26
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,

I currently have a Hybrid and I'm looking to upgrade to a road bike.

I have about £1000 to spend and I'm 6ft and 16 stone. I ride 12 miles a day to and from work and have started going out with a few lads from work and doing 30 or so mile runs. My main reason for riding is fitness. At the moment I am riding a hybrid with mountain bike gears (Deore/LX) and 25mm tyres.

I was thinking of a low end carbon bike like a Boardman Carbon Team or a Moda Echo but I am unsure about a carbon frame due to my weight.

I am now looking at bikes like the Cannondale Caad8 105, Bianchi Via Jerome Tiagra, Giant Defy 1 and Forme Longcliffe 1 but I am concerned that after a while I will regret not buying carbon.

Any ideas?
2014 Giant Defy 1
2011 Dawes Discovery 501 Deore Hybrid
2019 Claud Butler Alpina 29 MTB

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Your weight will be fine although this is not to say that you should definitely buy a carbon framed bike. Get the bike you will enjoy riding and your weight will soon disappear as a result of the extra activity.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    buy the bike you really really want (you know which one that is!) and ride your heavy hybrid until you loose the weight and keep that carbon beauty in the lounge to constantly remind you of what you have to look forward to :D

twisted I know :roll:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • popularname
    popularname Posts: 173
    I'm 15 and a half stone. Carbon's no problem. I love my carbon bike - but, FWIW, my son's aluminium framed Trek+ 105 groupset is pretty fantastic too. Test ride some carbon and some non carbon and see how they feel. You'll know... Whatever you decide will be right. Not spending your £1k would be wrong... 8)
  • I just bough the Moda Echo and I have to say I'm loving it. I'm 5'11 and 87kg. I thought long and hard about what bike to get and am glad I got the Carbon. I've even stopped looking at other bikes! Nice to know there's not a load of them out there either.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    simonl83 wrote:
    Hi,

I currently have a Hybrid and I'm looking to upgrade to a road bike.

I have about £1000 to spend and I'm 6ft and 16 stone. I ride 12 miles a day to and from work and have started going out with a few lads from work and doing 30 or so mile runs. My main reason for riding is fitness. At the moment I am riding a hybrid with mountain bike gears (Deore/LX) and 25mm tyres.

I was thinking of a low end carbon bike like a Boardman Carbon Team or a Moda Echo but I am unsure about a carbon frame due to my weight.

I am now looking at bikes like the Cannondale Caad8 105, Bianchi Via Jerome Tiagra, Giant Defy 1 and Forme Longcliffe 1 but I am concerned that after a while I will regret not buying carbon.

Any ideas?

Low end carbon or high end alu!? ....I know which gets my vote, hence I ride a high end alu:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3076
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,488
    Have you seen this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12924617

Not one of your listed bikes but looks like real value . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP