Fitting Shimano brakes onto Avid adaptors

dazz25
dazz25 Posts: 48
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I've recently received my new bike which comes with Avid Elixirs so I want to swap them with the Shimano SLX M666 from my old bike.

What I need to know is can the calipers be bolted straight onto the Avid adaptors or will I need new ones? My old bike has the same size rear disc so thats not a problem but the front disc on the new bike is bigger so re-using the Avid adaptor would be the best way.

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You can use the adaptors, but don't use all the tri align washers from Avid (if present).
  • dazz25
    Fantastic, thanks for that.

Yeh i'm going to use the washers etc to fit the Avids onto my other bike.
  • rossi1981
    rossi1981 Posts: 56
    You will probably need to use the washers as the bolts are longer on the avid brakes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The solution to that is get the right size bolts if necessary.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dazz25
    I'm literally doing a straight swap from one bike to another so all the bolts, washers etc will be transferred with them.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Sorry to hijack, but Cooldad, may I ask why not to use the washers? I did the swap and used everything due to bolt length. Did not think another thing about it, it all is working so an I am interested to know is trouble lies ahead!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Shimano brakes don't use them. So you don't need them - if you do the caliper will sit in the wrong place.
  • raldat
    supersonic wrote:
    Shimano brakes don't use them. So you don't need them - if you do the caliper will sit in the wrong place.

Ok thanks Supersonic. They seem fine but I suspect I don't know what I am talking about so will take another look.
    Appreciate that...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Caliper will be too far out, so the pads will only partly contact the rotor - will wear a step until the top edges touch and the brakes stop working.
    Probably.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • raldat
    cooldad wrote:
    Caliper will be too far out, so the pads will only partly contact the rotor - will wear a step until the top edges touch and the brakes stop working.
    Probably.

Thanks for that. Shall have to check.
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    Either get shorter bolts and get rid if the CPS washers or double stack the CPS washers between the bolt head and the brake caliper, don't leave these washers between the brake caliper and the post mounts or between the brake caliper and the adapter.

Only Avid brakes are meant to use the CPS washers between the caliper an the post mounts or between the caliper and the adapter.
    The Avid brakes that use CPS washers are made different to other brakes, they need the extra packing that these washers give to place the brake caliper in the correct position over the rotor.
    The extra packing that these washers give will place a non Avid brake calipers in the incorrect position over the rotor.