21 miles at last ....

Toe knee
Toe knee Posts: 525
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Did my longest ride to date this morning, i am made up with that, it's took a while to get there, can't wait to get out again and add to it, not much to some people, but it sure feels good to me . . . . :D
Had to share that.

Thanks tony.

Comments

• Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    21 miles IS a big deal Tony,we all have to start somewhere and that is a great milestone.Next step the big five 0. :)
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    I am fairly new to road cycling, but too many people compare themselves to others, I compare myself to my pb's, don't put yourself down about 21 miles, well done on your longest ride so far, keep it up :D
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Well done Tony. What you will find now is that anything under 20 miles will feel too short and I bet it won't be long until you break the 30 mile barrier.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Good going. Everything under 20 will now feel like a warm up. Try a thirty next. If you manage that then fifty is no more difficult on similar terrain.
  • Well done mate, great peddling!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Well done Tony - and its a windy day on the Wirral today, so not the easiest day to be building your mileage up! 8)
  • Toe knee
    Thanks all, sure was windy , every time I go up Benty Heath lane lately it doesn't feel like I'm moving. :D
    Bring on the 25& 30 next. :)
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Toe knee wrote:
    Thanks all, sure was windy , every time I go up Benty Heath lane lately it doesn't feel like I'm moving. :D
    Bring on the 25& 30 next. :)

Yeah, Benty Heath was right into the teeth of it yesterday.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Toe knee
    Yea to right ringo, did 10 miles yesterday, including benty, Christ it wiped me out, felt better after my 21 today, well I did do it 3 times today :D So should be getting better the more I do it, forgot to post before, did the ride in 1hr 40 mins, avg speed 12.3mph. :D
  • #david2012
    #david2012 Posts: 275
    Congrats mate your longest ride is your longest ride!
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Toe knee wrote:
    Did my longest ride to date this morning, i am made up with that, it's took a while to get there, can't wait to get out again and add to it, not much to some people, but it sure feels good to me . . . . :D
    Well done, I remember the feeling :)

It may not seem much to me now, but 5 months back it seemed like a lot!
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Good going. Everything under 20 will now feel like a warm up. Try a thirty next. If you manage that then fifty is no more difficult on similar terrain.
    I give it a month until his first 'I rode for three hours and suddenly my legs felt like jelly and I needed to stop' thread. :)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Well done! Did my first 20 a couple of weeks back and just did my first 30 (34 in the end) today so you should be upping the miles in no time!
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Well done tony,first 20 is a milestone for sure.I remember mine and it felt great.keep it up.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Toe knee - certainly don't put yourself down - we all have to start somewhere!! And if it makes you feel any better, I did my longest ride on a road bike this weekend - and that was only 15miles!! Completed in 5 seconds under an hour.

Don't forget to factor in wind and hills - I (stupidly maybe?) cycled out with a tailwind and back with a headwind, so the last 5miles was really tough, and climbed 1,600ft over the 15miles (don't have much choice living in the Derbyshire hills!). Not far compared to many on here, but I was pleased with that and your 21miles is a great acheivement!
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Well done, I remember those days! They don't last long, you'll be thinking of 20 miles as a quick spin hardly worth counting soon ;)
  • Toe knee
    Thanks again for the nice comments all. :D
  • jkboxall
    jkboxall Posts: 79
    I was very proud when I first did more the 20 miles, and you should be too!

I've been averaging 25 miles a ride, or at least trying to :D Did 40 the other weekend, but that was only because I got a bit lost :oops: But I managed okay!

Well done mate, keep it up!
  • jimmas
    jimmas Posts: 50
    Well done, thats really great peddling
  • p.ilchard
    p.ilchard Posts: 16
    Yes, great pedalling. And if you were selling stuff too, great to fit in all that peddling too.
  • retrobike007
    retrobike007 Posts: 215
    Good work mate. Try increasing your ride length by about 10% each time. So next 23.1 then 25.4 so on and so forth. You wint notice the extra distance. Also club rides are good because they can be social so you ride and chat and you dont even notice the miles. This is how I started back last year. And I did my first 100 mile ride last week.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I always enjoy these posts as you get to see where you used to be yourself when you started riding again.

I was talking about a flyover bridge I went over when I started cycling again (17 mile loop the first time... I was completely dead when I got home) that I had to stop at the top of to get my breath back.

I only remembered when I was about 40 miles into a 106 mile loop when we cycled over it. I looked back and thought "that was the bridge", I'd barely even noticed.

These milestones are amazingly important, and you should be rightly proud. Next one is 25 :)

This is the one: http://goo.gl/maps/BWn0e
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Southgate
    Southgate Posts: 246
    Well done! And don't be put off by reading about other people's major achievements - no-one goes out and does 100 miles without months of steady training (well, there was this bloke I know, but he had a sore arse for weeks afterwards!).
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.