Carbon seat post cracks/squashed

Rodders30
Rodders30 Posts: 314
edited June 2013 in Workshop
Don't know whether to change the seat post. Over about 4 1/2 years I've had this seat post. Looks like the seat clamp has slowly squashed it.
Cannot see any damage inside, looks like surface cracks (yellow line shows the length of them)

But I have my saddle where the red arrow is and its close to the max limit (blue arrow) which leaves about 4 inches in the frame.

To change or not to change......wouldn't want it snapping on a ride, I suspect its been like it for ages, I've only just noticed :oops:
Trek 1.5 Road
Haro MTB

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    hard to see the cracks in the pics, if they're not simply in the clearcoat and are extending above the clamped area, which i think they are judging by the yellow line, i'd change the post, ditto if it's crushed out of shape

as far as amount of post in the frame, the bottom of it should extend to at least a bit below the lowest point of the top tube joint with the seat tube, and the clamping point should be within the limits marked on the post itself
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Rodders30
    Rodders30 Posts: 314
    I managed to get a better look up the inside and saw a visible crack. So its gone all the way through. Bought a new one today, went for aluminium.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB