Chain skipping

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited June 2013 in Workshop
I've just changed the chain on my Specialized Allez as the old one snapped. It is a Shimano Tiagra 9 speed drivetrain but the new chain is a 9 speed SRAM, I chose this because I like the PowerLink joining method. I was under the impression that SRAM and Shimano were directly compatible as far as chains go but I have just taken my bike out for a spin and the chain is skipping really badly. I would say it is about 2 -3 times every pedal revolution so not just down to one link. It is difficult to recreate when the bike is on my workstand as it only seems to happen under significant pedalling load. The cassette seems in good nick, no major visible issues although it is about 5 years old.
Any suggestions? Should I just buy a new SRAM cassette?

Cheers
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    I think the general replies will all tell you the cassette is worn and will need replacing as well. I have had the same on a mountain bike, the old chain and cassette will have worn together.

Forgot to add, shimano and SRAM are compatible so get whatever 9 speed cassette you want.

Sorry more money required.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Cassette 5 years old - get a new one ffs
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • No Sweat
    No Sweat Posts: 103
    If the bike is 5 years old and has been used a fair bit then it's very likely that the old chain was worn (which may have contributed to it snapping). It's therefore very likely that the cassette is worn as well. It's also possible that the chainrings are worn too.
    I think that you may well need a new cassette - the wear may not be readily seen unless you have an identical 'fresh' one to compare it too. SRAM or Shimano will be pretty well interchangeable (I too like SRAM chains because of the powerlink - although in practice you can get KMC or SRAM links to fit to Shimano chains).
    I would also check your chainrings for wear - one way is to look at the way your fresh chain sits on it - do the links sit well or is there a gap allowing movement of the chain? Also look at the teeth - they should be pretty symmetrical, so if they are hooked or shark-fin shaped, then they may be past it. Unfortunately chainrings are expensive.......
    It's worth investing a few quid in a chainchecking tool (Parktools do a simple one, or simply measuring with a steel rule - see Sheldon Brown's website for guidance) and replace the chain before over-worn to maximise the life of the chainrings especially.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Yup, cassette
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Ok, new cassette it is then.

Thanks NS for the chain wear info. Hopefully, I'll avoid having to buy new chainrings.

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Textbook symptoms!

You'd think that a worn cassette would be visible to the naked eye, but when I've had to change them it's really hard to tell even when comparing with the new one.

As you have discovered, the simplest way to find out if your cassette's worn is to fit a new chain and stomp on the pedals!