What Bottom Bracket is this?

KKODE9
KKODE9 Posts: 3
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I am making a return to cycling after around 7 years off. I have bought a Giant XTC Advanced SL Carbon Fibre frame...unsure of what year it is.

Anyway it has arrived today and it has some bottom bracket that I havent seen before. Im not sure what is it or how it works.

Can anyone help me out and identify what bottom bracket I require, or what this is that is in my frame?

2rwrodk.jpg

On the other side is a threaded bit right in the center, im not sure if one side has this like bolt which threads to the other sides cup and tightens together?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looks like some sort of blank, but housing looks like it's for a pressfit of some description.

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0geu ... 1-2013.htm

Suggests it's for a SRAM GXP press fit.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    Looks like a pressfit type of bottom bracket, I think it's SRAM GXP. Something like http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55293
  • KKODE9
    KKODE9 Posts: 3
    Thanks guys, you're great. I aint sure what the thread bit is, but I think I have worked out how to diassemble it, maybe the thread is to pull the bearing cups together? Not sure.

Im going to take it to my trusty bike shop for them to dismantle it.

Another slightly dumb Q, I used to use square taper and ISIS fitment where the crank fits onto the spindle which is part of the BB. As I understand it now, the spindle comes as part of the crankset now, is there specific fitments again for these press fit?

Or what should I be looking for when buying a crankset to be compatible with one of those sram peices etc.

Thanks again
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it's pressfit their won't be a thread.

I'm not great on pressfit but their are different standards, and the axle's are different sizes, although I believe you an fit Shimano cranksets using an adaptor from hope.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.