Is the Canyon Nerve AL+9 SL worth the extra £800?

matt-h
matt-h Posts: 847
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
Is the Canyon Nerve AL+9 SL worth the extra £800 over the AL+ 9?

Seems quite a bike jump to me

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... -plus.html

Matt

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    IMHO no - I would maybe pay NOT to have any crank bros stuff on the bike. Kashima and XTR are nice, but not worth the price difference.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • matt-h
    Ok. Great. Which in the range represents the best value?

Matt
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Actually - the kit you get on that SL version would set you back over £5000 from a comparable big bike company (ala spesh) and even more on a boutique bike like a santa cruz.

The bikes from canyon are all exceptional value. The general rule of thumb for buying a bike (or any significant financial purchase) is choose your budget - If your budget is £2400 then get the 9.0 and it will arguably be the best equipped steed available. If your budget is £3200 then get the sl because that has the best kit on it and it will save you in the long run over buying aftermarket upgrades because the straight from factory price is so low and irrespective of some peoples feelings over certain kit the kit list on both bikes for the money is drool worthy.

So pick a budget - stick to it - buy the bike you like best for that money - if its a canyon the spec will be impressive.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I'd not touch the 9SL for the reasons benpinnick gave, but also because the 9 is so good anyway. Apart from bit of the drivetrain not being as bling, all the important bits are pretty top end anyway, just not as shiny as Crank Brothers stuff (but functionally much better).
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    What Tom says is true, but the reality is paying anything for something not worth having is still bad value, irrespective of how much less it is than the RRP/upgrade cost.

Ultimately you'd not need XTR and TBH the wierd ring fit make the cranks a beatch to switch to 1x10, the rear mech looks nice but is functionaly no better than XT, front mech even more so, they are virtually identical. The brakes are nice but nothing to write home about, and all that kashima is cool, but not worth the money... and all the crank bros stuff is not worth it.

For me the 8.0 is the one at 2200. Ditch the stem and bars for a RF Turbine or similar (proper turbine, not the iffy one on the 9.0) and some nice wide carbon bars (RF Sixc/Easton Havoc/Enve/etc.) and you'd have a great bike for under £2350. Thats based on my preference for Shimano over SRAM though, and the discount. The 9.0 is good too if you like SRAM.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • matt-h
    That's great advice all.
    I have only ever had Shimano.

I have SLX on my current Carbon HT and 105 on my road bike
    I also have carbon 3T extendo bars on the HT.

Matt