WIGGO OUT OF TOUR!!!!!!

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited June 2013 in Commuting chat
Always wanted to do a shouty all caps subject line.

Well, apparently he is.

So there.
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Quintana FTW!
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yup gutted, but at least it solves the issue of who is Team cap'n.

Makes me even more glad i was there last year to witness the modfather in yellow

grand_colombier_02.jpg
    FCN = 4
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 62,00.html

Sir Bradley Wiggins has been ruled out of selection for the Tour de France due to an ongoing knee condition.

The 2012 champion was withdrawn from the Giro d’Italia on 18 May due to a worsening chest infection and returned home for treatment, rest, and further assessment of his knee.

During that period he was unable to train with any intensity and will not be able to compete at this month’s Criterium du Dauphine or Tour de Suisse.

Team Principal Sir Dave Brailsford confirmed on Friday: “With illness, injury and treatment Brad has gone past the point where he can be ready for the Tour de France. It’s a big loss but, given these circumstances, we won’t consider him for selection.

“He hasn’t been able to train hard since the Giro and now he needs further rest. Whilst we all know these things happen in sport, it doesn’t take away from the fact that this is a huge disappointment for everyone in the team – and above all for Brad.

‘”It’s incredibly sad to have the reigning champion at Team Sky but not lining up at the Tour. But he’s a champion, a formidable athlete and will come back winning as he has before”

Huge disappointment

Sir Bradley Wiggins said: “It’s a huge disappointment not to make the Tour. I desperately wanted be there, for the team and for all the fans along the way - but it’s not going to happen.

“I can’t train the way I need to train and I’m not going to be ready. Once you accept that, it’s almost a relief not having to worry about the injury and the race against time.

“I’ve been through this before, when I broke my collarbone, so I know how it works. I’ll get this sorted, set new goals for this season and focus on those.”

“This team has so many riders in great shape, ready for selection and we set incredible standards for performance which shouldn’t be compromised. We need to have the best chance to win.”

Team Doctor Richard Freeman, said; ““The chest infection that caused his withdrawal from the Giro has responded to treatment and rest. It has completely cleared up.

“However, further medical investigations on the knee injury that we were managing at the Giro showed the condition was more significant than we thought.

“It has needed intensive treatment and, whilst it will be fully resolved, Bradley now needs to rest completely for five days before a gradual, return to full training over a period of two to three weeks.”
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Yeah, it's a shame, but it really does solve a lot of problems for team Sky and Sir Wiggo.

Cav for GC? ;)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    _61489548_61489547.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Big shame for Sir Brad and his army of fans of course, but if he never rode a bike in anger again nothing would take away the sheer mind-blowing excitement and joy of that sunny day in Paris last year. Singing the National anthem with about 5000 other brits in the Place De La Concorde was one of the most emotional sporting events I've ever had the privilege of attending. Still brings a lump to me throat!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    the thread in pro race is already up to 7 pages....
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Be interesting to see who rides as Number One.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Wiggo to win Vuelta?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • tailwindhome
    t4tomo wrote:
    Wiggo to win Vuelta?

Way too lumpy.

The Vuelta, not Wiggins
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Be interesting to see who rides as Number One.

Froome.

Obv.

(Race numbers are decided by team order on individual GC. Wiggins won, so sky get 1-9. Cannondale will get 11-19 since Liquigas came 3rd behind Froome with Nibali, etc).
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Richie Porte
    Who said that? :shock:

:lol::lol:

Porte to go all froome on froome!?!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Mate of mine was saying that Wiggins pulled out because they were keying Froome up to be the lead guy anyway and Wiggins wasn't happy being the support guy/sacrificing himself for Froome
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I don't reckon Bradders would drop out though purely on the basis of not wanting play second fiddle.

To be honest given that Bradders won it last year, I never understood why Sky went with Froome for the TdF and Bard for the Giro. I'd have expected the reverse (Froome Giro, Bradders TdF) and given the Vuelta to the Columbians.

Froome would have won the Giro, Bradders would have come second (or bailed due to knee injury) in the TdF to Contador and the Columbians would have impressed in the Vuelta.

2014 would have seen Froome lay rightful claim to leadership of the Tour, Bradders could have the Vuelta or Giro and the Columbians could have the one Bradders didn't choose.

2015, Columbians challenge Froome for leadership, Bradders back to focusing on the TT ahead of olympics.

Well that's what my crystal ball said.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Mate of mine was saying that Wiggins pulled out because they were keying Froome up to be the lead guy anyway and Wiggins wasn't happy being the support guy/sacrificing himself for Froome

is your mate Robert Millar?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    To be honest given that Bradders won it last year, I never understood why Sky went with Froome for the TdF and Bard for the Giro. I'd have expected the reverse (Froome Giro, Bradders TdF) and given the Vuelta to the Columbians.

The logic was that the Giro had more TT miles and would be better suited to Wiggins. Froome, who lets not forget is a lot younger than Wiggins, being the better bet for the TDF, based both on the course and competition.

From a sponsorship prespective the TDF is bigger than everything else. You play your best cards there.
    Froome would have won the Giro

Maybe yes, maybe no.
    Bradders would have come second (or bailed due to knee injury) in the TdF to Contador

Beating J Rod, Quintana, Evans etc. over a course more suited to them.
    and the Columbians would have impressed in the Vuelta.

Uran already has his podium and is basically out the door.

[quote2014 would have seen Froome lay rightful claim to leadership of the Tour[/quote]

He wouldn't have waited.
    Bradders could have the Vuelta or Giro and the Columbians could have the one Bradders didn't choose.

Uran's away to OPQS at the end of the season
    2015, Columbians challenge Froome for leadership, Bradders back to focusing on the TT ahead of olympics.

2015 Wiggins will be on the beach - 2016 he'll be 36 , same age as Evans now.

You're forgetting Porte
    Well that's what my crystal ball said.

Needs a polish maybe. :wink: