Play in cassette on Khamsin /Shim freehub

Anyfulekno
Anyfulekno Posts: 12
edited May 2013 in Workshop
Hi

I have a new set of Campag Khamsins with the Shimano freehub, and an equally spanking PG850 8-speed SRAM cassette. Slide the cassette onto the hub, add the 8th cog, hand tighten the lockring and use hub insert tool and chainwhip to secure... but when it's as tight as I can comfortably get it, there's still some side-to-side play in the cassette on the hub. I'm new to doing this so don't know if that's acceptable, but it doesn't feel right. Should there be an insert/spacer of some kind behind the cassette on the hub? Or am I missing something else? Or is it OK...

Cheers

Steve

Comments

• Anyfulekno
    OK so I fitter the spacer provided for use on 10spd cassettes and it now seems tight and secure. No mention it was to be used with 8-spd units though. Next thing will be to see how it goes on the bike...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    i think the current hubs are 11-speed compatible

shimano 11-speed cassette is a bit wider than an 8/9/10-speed cassette, i'd guess that spacer is supplied by campag for compatibility

if you were to fit most shimano 10-speed cassettes, you'd also need the shimano supplied spacer, i.e. two spacers, as these cassettes are a bit narrower (exception is tiagra cassettes), whereas sram's 8/9/10 cassettes are all the same width
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Anyfulekno
    Well it all seems to work OK. Changes aren't quite as smooth as with the original HG-50 (bike is a 2011 Spec Tricross) but acceptable so far and it makes a huge diff not to have to change tyres every time I want to use skinny tyres on the road. Thanks for the info.