Going narrower on bars?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm in the market for a new set of bars and although my shoulder size suggests a 42, I'm wondering about going down to a set of 40s instead. This is based on where I position the heels of my palms when on the tops of my present Ergonova 42s. That narrow position seems to take some tension out off my shoulders and it would be nice to think it could be that way on the hoods too if I went for a narrower set of bars.

Anyone use narrower bars than tradition dictates for their size? Is there anything else I ought to bear in mind before going for it?

Thanks

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I use wider bars - 44 rather than 42 which is probably more my standard size, and I had 40s or 42s for some while beforehand. I find the wider bar allows me to breath slightly easier, helps expand the chest. Just another factor to consider...
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mrbrightside
    mrbrightside Posts: 214
    I've gone down 44-42 and really like my new bars. I think track riders use really narrow bars, couriers also so I would hesitate dropping down 10mm either side.
  • jonny_trousers
    Yeah, I've read about the breathing element before, but then I suppose there has to be an aerodynamic element too. I suppose it's all about trial and error, but it can be quite a pricey trial and error. Thanks for the thoughts so far.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Yeah, I've read about the breathing element before, but then I suppose there has to be an aerodynamic element too. I suppose it's all about trial and error, but it can be quite a pricey trial and error. Thanks for the thoughts so far.

Pricey? bars are what 20 quid new? That's hardly an expensive experiment.

I run 38.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    My bike fit came out at 44cm (pre bike fit I'd always been on 42’s) and I rode that way for about 6 months before binning them - it was like driving a bus. I now ride 40cm c-c Ritchey Evo Curve bars on the best bike, 40 cm Cinelli Giro's on 'the classic' and 42 cm FSA SL-K compact bars on the training bike because the top part is narrow while the bar ends flare out. They all give out a feeling of great handling.

'Wide bars makes your breathing easier', like sizing your bike by looking down at the front hub is rubbish. I breath from my diaphragm.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Go wider, better control.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Think of your frontal area ffs!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    44's are not THAT wide ffs :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • jonny_trousers
    jibberjim wrote:

Pricey? bars are what 20 quid new? That's hardly an expensive experiment.

I run 38.

20 quid? What bars do you use?

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm pretty certain a size down would be better for me, but I might just get that bike fit I've always considered before building up the new bike.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    20 quid? What bars do you use?

All sorts are available at that price e.g.:
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose ... aid:488454

Now of course, they may not be the ones that you want to use long term, but to decide if a width works for you...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Just gone to a 40 today after years on 42 and I have a 98 miler tomorrow !
    170cm tall and 40" chest fyi.
    Ridden down the street and they feel a little different but nothing major. They certainly look better on my size bike but tomorrow will reveal if they're right, massively wrong or neither here nor there.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    Just to make it more complicated: Handlebars come in different shapes as well. I have got two bikes with 42 cm handlebars, one is almost straight and the other one is more curved to the sides. The straight one feels slightly too wide; 42 cm should be the right size for me, according to the book. I also have an old bike with a 40cm handlebar, which is even more rounded.
  • forward_loop
    forward_loop Posts: 314
    but then I suppose there has to be an aerodynamic element too.

for sure... Adam Hansen uses bars probably 4cm narrower than tradition might dictate (38 instead of 42). 10% reduction in frontal area I read somewhere which I guess can make a big difference pulling the bunch at 65km/h. He also makes his own shoes....
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Galatzo wrote:
    Just gone to a 40 today after years on 42 and I have a 98 miler tomorrow !
    170cm tall and 40" chest fyi.
    Ridden down the street and they feel a little different but nothing major. They certainly look better on my size bike but tomorrow will reveal if they're right, massively wrong or neither here nor there.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

Didn't notice much difference with the bars yesterday, I was too busy feeling knackered :wink:
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • You could be between sizes ;)
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    As though any 'normal' cyclist is going to notice the difference in 2cm or even 4cm less frontal area in terms of aerodynamics? If your going to get that fussy about aero may aswell turn up for the club run in full skin suit and pointy helmet! I went from 42 to 40 by mistake (as Deda bars are measured outside to outside) and I didn't notice the difference TBH.
  • philvantwo
    philvantwo Posts: 85
    46 bars on my bikes, better handling, have to be careful in traffic though!
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    I went through the bike fit stuff a couple of years ago and was assessed as needing 42cm (C-C) bars (I checked this using various web sites' suggestions). They were fine. Last year I got a new bike and it came with 40cm bars and before I switched the bars over, I tried it out for a fair few miles and ..... much to my surprise the 40s were more comfortable and that's what I stayed with. Handling has been fine and, for me, the aero difference is unlikely to ever be a factor!