How long did your AM41's last?

sparky543
sparky543 Posts: 54
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
After a year and a half's worth of riding once a week, my Shimano AM41's have started to give up on me. I put them on yesterday and noticed that both shoes have given in the same place- the sole has come away from the shoe where my foot bends. I've only been riding trail centres-they've seen no cross country or heavy mauling and have been cleaned after almost every ride. I'm a tad disappointed they have only lasted this long. Am I being unrealistic in thinking these should last a little longer?

I'm now faced with the dilemma of either buying another pair or looking for an alternative. I've a pair of 5.10's to see me through the summer, but come winter I'll be looking for something a little more waterproof.

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    That doesn't sound good. I wonder it's the fact that they are the "flats" version? My AM45 (clipless) have lasted incredibly well despite frequent submersions over winter, frozen rides, rocky/flinty rides, roots, sand etc.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Me too on am45s some of the uppers are look worse for wear but they are a couple of years old at least and used every day almost
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    my AM41's have been 50% great and 50% poor. by that i mean that with the pair ive had for c 2 years now, one of them is in good nick (other than a bit of sole wear as i would expect from big pinned pedals) and the other the sole hase pretty much peeled off as the black plascti covering round the toe delaminated and water has got under the sole.

however, before you bin them and buy a new pair, if you can get to where the sole is seporating, just buy some shoo-goo and smoother them in it. miracle stiff, sticks like sh*t to a blanket and provides a waterproof seal / covering
  • sparky543
    sparky543 Posts: 54
    Good idea. I was thinking of having a go at something like that before I binned them. I was also thinking of trying my luck with Shimano customer service, but it appears they don't have much dedicated support in the UK and in other parts of the world you have to call them as they can't take emails!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Mine are a year old and have done weekly downhill sessions in all (mostly wet) weather and they are in great condition. I never bother to clean them, just throw them on the radiator to dry. Maybe cleaning them is the problem.
  • A year and a half sounds like a good innings to me :s

My am41's are still going strong after 4 weeks lol
  • paulneenan76
    paulneenan76 Posts: 777
    Getting on for 2 years riding in all weather (i really do batter them) and my AM's still look and feel great. If they're dirty I just wash them under the tap or spray them with muc-off.

Try gluing them back together, but maybe you've just been unlucky and got a "Friday afternoon" pair.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374