53/39 to 52/36

shinsplint
shinsplint Posts: 565
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm currently running a standard double 53/39 set up (Dura Ace 7900) and would like to try a 52/36.

Is it possible to simply change the rings, or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Nope, only Dura Ace 9000 will take any (reasonable for road) rings, a 7900 will only allow a 38 as the smallest ring
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Just to jump on this, does anyone know of a 36t inner chainring that will fit on a Super Record 2011 53-39 11 Speed Chainset??

(Would potentially save me the expense of a second Chainset to swap to, want this for going places with plenty of really steep stuff ...a compact chainset equivalent is a lot of money ...I don't mind all the swapping stuff across, its all easy enough either way)
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Same question from me if we’re hi-jacking threads. I fancy a lower option for the Marmotte in July. I’m currently running 53/39 on carbon Centaur. Can I get a smaller inner ring? – even a 38 if it would fit?
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Same question from me if we’re hi-jacking threads. I fancy a lower option for the Marmotte in July. I’m currently running 53/39 on carbon Centaur. Can I get a smaller inner ring? – even a 38 if it would fit?

on my sram red 52/36 it uses 110BCD rings. vs 130BCD of the 53/39. I would be able to swap rings easily for 50/34 if I wanted a compact though.

not sure if that helps anyone but there you are :)

ps - the 52/36 is a great setup. 52/11 combo is great for the long downhills and the 36 comes in handy in a jam on the more brutal climbs.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    ju5t1n wrote:

It's most likely that your chainset has 135 BCD and therefore the smallest inner ring you can fit is a 39 - you'll need to fit a new chainset if you want to go smaller. Cheaper solution would be to fit a 13-29 cassette - it should give you a low enough gear for the climbs as they're not too steep, just incredibly long.

I tried to ride up the Koppenberg last weekend on 42x20 - epic fail! (I was wearing toeclips clips and straps though and didn't fancy landing side-ways onto the stones)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..