Bont A3 - May as well be clogs!!!

Weeman1973
Weeman1973 Posts: 471
edited June 2013 in Road general
Anybody else have issues getting Bont's to be comfortable or is it my plates of meat???

I bought a brand new pair of A3's. Went through the fitting chart on the website to find the correct size and got them on line. Once at home I ran through the heat moulding process to get them precise to my feet. After coming out the oven (even bought an oven thermometer to check the correct temperature etc.) I put them on and they were so uncomfortable, particularly on the sides of my feet, right near where the ratchet buckles are. Anyway, let them cool with my feet in and still really uncomfortable & that's just standing in the house with no cleats fitted, let alone on a bike.

I have since done the moulding process another three times and still no improvement in the comfort. Am I alone in this? Have I done something wrong or are they just not right for my feet?

I am sticking with my old Lake's until I can get them (if ever) to feel comfortable in the house before I even attempt to put them on a bike!

I read that Bont were supposed to be the most comfortable shoes about - currently I would have to say I would prefer to be wearing clogs!

Comments

• raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    There is the reality that not all brands are right for all people - I could never get on with an expensive pair of Pearl Izumi shoes I bought a few years ago; they are still sitting in my shoe cupboard virtually unused. We're all individuals after all......
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Weeman1973 wrote:
    Anybody else have issues getting Bont's to be comfortable or is it my plates of meat???

I bought a brand new pair of A3's. Went through the fitting chart on the website to find the correct size and got them on line.

This is where you went wrong.

Do like mine and I've not heated them yet so still room for improvement but they are certainly clog like and not for everyone. In the same way I can't wear Sidi or S-works (still foolishly tried to make them work).
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    I have a pair of A-two. Bought them from my LBS and must have tried about 4 different sizes and a few other brands in store. The Bont were for me by fare the most comfortable and after I have molded them they are even better.

Personally I would never buy shoes online as feet can differ so much from person to person and you cannot beat the service and facility of a local store where you can try them on.

What is a pair of clogs to you is a pair of comfortable slippers (although a very stiff pair of slippers!!) to others.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Stick with it.

I heat moulded my Lake 331's and they felt very stiff and uncomfy at first.

However, after two rides, they had broken in, and now they're great, although still perhaps not as comfy as my 236's were, but then that's the price of super light weight and stiff carbon sole....!
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    It sounds like you need the wider version. If you screwed up the sizing in anyway you will struggle to get them comfortable. You may be able to force the outer side out a little more with a blunt end of a screwdriver. I always have to do this with the left one to allow for my slightly wider foot. I'm on my third pair, they're great but correct sizing is maybe more critical than other shoes.
  • shuttle_cock
    shuttle_cock Posts: 115
    Tried various different brands at different bike shops, as my local only stock Mavic, turns out they were the ones for me. Tried a pair of Spiuk purchased online, I could feel the effect they had on my feet even when I had taken them off, no way I was going to ride with them.

Can't beat trying them on first.
    Giant Contend SL 2 Disc
    Giant Defy 3 Adv 2018
    "I brake for cake!"
  • Weeman1973
    Weeman1973 Posts: 471
    edten wrote:
    It sounds like you need the wider version. If you screwed up the sizing in anyway you will struggle to get them comfortable. You may be able to force the outer side out a little more with a blunt end of a screwdriver. I always have to do this with the left one to allow for my slightly wider foot. I'm on my third pair, they're great but correct sizing is maybe more critical than other shoes.

They are the wide fitting ones. If I slacken the buckles off they don't dig in as much on the outside of my feet however they then don't feel stable on my feet.

Anybody in the market for a pair of 41 Wide's.............
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Weeman1973 wrote:
    edten wrote:

They are the wide fitting ones. If I slacken the buckles off they don't dig in as much on the outside of my feet however they then don't feel stable on my feet.

Anybody in the market for a pair of 41 Wide's.............

How much would you be looking for? PM me please.
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    It sounds like you have wide feet like mine. I bake the shoes then wear about 3-5 pairs of thin socks to push them out a little more and without doing the top strap up. They truly are uncomfortable as hell out of the box but with some patient baking they are the most confortable shoes. Everyones different but after trying S-Works, Lakes CX401, Shimano, Sidi megas these to me are the most comfiest shoes out there.