Looking for info, all-round begginers bike, 6'3, 200 pounds

mircea163
mircea163 Posts: 9
edited June 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi, i'm new here and also am just starting to research MTB, so please forgive me for my lack of knowledge or misuse of terminology, as well as for the fact that English isn't my native tongue :wink:

I read some of the threads on this board, great info, but i would like to get more into it before i make a decision. Basically, i'm looking for a durable, strong, simple bike, just something i'll be able to enjoy without having to replace parts that failed because of poor construction, nothing fancy.
Also, is there any book on maintenance that would be worth buying ? I have seen some videos on this, not sure if they will be enough.

I'm 31, 6'3 (191), 200 pounds (90kg), fairly athletic and active, the bike would not be hard-used, mainly trail, i'm not interested in speed or jumping.

Budget is 400 pounds max.
The main issue as i see it, i need a bike strong enough to carry me, and i also want it to be durable :)
So far, I'm thinking of hardtail aluminum frame, 22/32/42 crankset, cartridge bottom bracket, cable disc brakes, not sure about the rest. I would like to hear form people with experience exactly what bikes with these specs can best carry a 200 pounds guy.
Also, if you think some of my choices so far are wrong or incomplete, please let me know, i'm still studying.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Voodoo Bantu - air fork, good sturdy parts, will easy take you slightly above average size ;-). I ride with a bloke who is 300lbs and 6ft 9, no probs on his entry level bike!
  • mircea163
    Thank you, i was hoping to get your input :)
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I think that at your budget you won't have much trouble carrying your weight (I'm 6'3" and currently around 92kg). My old Cube analog held up well with the only let down being the suntour xcm fork.
  • mircea163
    Interesting, so most bikes in this budget will be able to carry me ? The reason i ask, it seems Halfords doesn't ship to Romania so i'll have to keep looking and see what my choices are, not sure i can get a Voodoo Bantu...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do you have Decathlon stores?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mircea163
    Yes, we do. I haven't spoken to them yet, i'm still in the research phase, but they are on the top of my visiting-list.

Do you know of any similar bikes they may have ?

The best fit i found so far (online) is a Kross Level A3 for ~440 pounds, but it has that suntour xcm fork Antm81 was talking about and it's above my budget.
    I'm in no rush, i want to make a good buy.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Kross is not good for this money - poor fork, rather low end drivetrain - the Rockrider 8.0 is a better buy, the Bantu even better than that.
  • mircea163
    That's what i thought.
    So far, i haven't found any dealer that brings the Bantu, then again i've only just started looking.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I doubt you will. Only sold through Halfords and they don't send outside the UK.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Have a look
    http://voodoocycles.net/
    CD is a bit wide of the mark.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How about that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rad2474
    Rad2474 Posts: 162
    I'\ve got a bantu,rides fine along cycle paths,local woods and trail centres.Like you i'm not interested in the jumping etc. but love the trail centre tracks and the bantu works great. I'm 5.10 and about 102kgs mine is the 18" frame so you'll probably need the 20".
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    CD is a bit wide
  • mircea163
    Well, i spoke to the Decathlon people, they don't have the Bantu.
    I've started looking at the Rockrider 8.1. It's above my budget, but i can't find anything i like for 400, so i may end up getting this. Plus, i can get it with warranty, Decathlon service and i can try it out easily, the store isn't far.

Most every review i've seen on the net about the RR 8.1 is positive, and i see you guys also think it's a good bike, this counts a lot.
  • The Rookie
    Decathlon won't have a Bantu, did you vist the link I sent you Stockists of the Voodoo's?
  • mircea163
    edited June 2013
    I did, thank you; i contacted 2 of them (edit: 5) to see if they can ship the bike to me, no reply yet; the closest shop would be in Holland, and the flight ticket is over 300 euro, this is why i'm still looking.
  • The Rookie
    OK, just to clarify though, Decathlon ONLY stock their own brand bikes (Btwin and Rockrider), so you won't get a Voodoo or anything else there.
  • bloghog
    bloghog Posts: 40
    I guess if you have a contact in the UK, they could ship it for you? Going to be expensive I would think.
  • mircea163
    @ The Beginner: Got it. I wanted to be sure, that's why i phoned them, the Bantu would be a good fit.
    @ bloghog: Unfortunately, i don't.