Attempted Theft

christophercoraje
edited July 2013 in MTB stolen
Whilst away on a cycling holiday my garaged was broken into and luckily nothing stolen as i had both my bikes with me an my brothers was locked up with a Kyrptonite Forgettaboutit NYC lock. Ive had expensive bikes locked it my garaged for the past 7yrs with no problems but now obviously ive had this break in and its got me worried. I have more than £!0k worth of bikes and parts in there, its all fully insured with wall and floor anchors and a array of soldsecure locks but one thing i noticed a few weeks ago was that i was followed from my local tesco's and i was aware something weird was happening and i actually thought i was going to get mugged or they were going to attempt a breakin whilst i was in the shop next to my flat. The hassle now i have to go through to get a bike from my garage or worry when I'm cleaning it that maybe im being follotwed or watched is enough to really take the enjoyment out of riding most days as I'm constantly watching my back. The police have told us that we are now a target by a known criminal gang and if we continue to lock our bikes in the garage then they will most likely disappear, they even caught the know guys who attempted the robbery but there wasnt enough evidence to convict them. Im really bothered by all this now and I'm trying to think of better security like maybe using smart water, tracking devices etc. I actually have names and address of the guys from this gang now but the policed warned me to not get involved, but its hard to sit back! Ive seen the guys face book pages and it would be so easy to publicly humiliate these guys. Anybody got any advice or have had a similar experience?

Comments

• philipe28
    philipe28 Posts: 13
    I would post their street and area but not their full address. That way you haven't slandered them or breached their scumbag rights but at least people in the area could be on their guard. Also increases the chance of somebody seeing them up to no good and their chance of getting caught for something at least.

Be aware i once had the police tell me someone was not to be messed with. Turned out this was just so i would let the matter go and they didn't have to do anything about it. If you're not happy with how they are handling it attend your local police station and ask to speak to the inspector. Every police station has one on duty. Sometimes you just need to get speaking to the right officer. Just like anything other job, some are great and some less so.

When i went and demanded to speak with the inspector i was told he was out of the station which i didn't believe but within the hour the officers in question who simply couldn't be arsed, were at my house, apologising profusely, got it sorted and the guy got done.

Try your local community police officer. Ours is a great bloke.
  • philipe28
    philipe28 Posts: 13
    Also alarm your garage. Ive got my garden alarmed. You cant get to my garage other than through my garden. Now i sleep at night.
  • dave8178
    dave8178 Posts: 169
    1. Buy a motion activated camera. Reasonably cheap.
    2. Rent home alone.

Combine both for an easy £200 from ybf.

Seriously, +1 for alarms.
    specialized stumpjumper.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4461838/
    commencal supreme vip.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5884133/
    Bianchi via nirone 7.
  • SE43
    SE43 Posts: 44
    Would definitely go with an alarm, seen as the stuff you have is very expensive, you might be best getting a decent alarm to go with it.

CCTV wouldn't go a miss neither.
    B'TWIN Triban 5a