Which spokes.

BeaconJon
BeaconJon Posts: 294
edited May 2013 in Workshop
Hi all. I'm looking to re-build my Chinese 50mm carbon clincher rear with some sturdier spokes as In the last 2 TT's I've broken 3 spokes, all on the non drive side at the hub. It came with aero pillar spokes (flat) on Novatec hubs.

Any advice as to what to replace them with? DT Swiss? Also brass or alloy nipples?

I'm not worried about weight etc, I just want reliability until I can purchase some better wheels.

Cheers, Jon

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I've build a powertap hub into a Mavic CXP33 rim using DT Aerolite spokes. I used aluminium alloy DT pro-loc nipples but having just replaced a spoke that was damaged in a spill and having to re-true the wheel, I'd only ever use brass nipples in future.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    I would use double butted Sapim Race/DT competition with 14 mm brass nipples... Chain reaction sell the DT at the moment with 14 mm nipples. Key to spoke life is getting the right size and the tension right... too low and spokes will break, too high and the rim will crack. Do you have a tension meter?
    left the forum March 2023
  • BeaconJon
    Hi. Cheers for the info. The spokes I broke have all been on the non drive side, so relatievly low tension. Maybe that's the problem. They've all broken at the hub flange.

I don't have a tensioner I'm afraid and won't be buying one as money is tight.

As I'm racing in this wheel I'm tempted to just give it to my LBS and let them set it up properly.
  • ugo.santalucia
    BeaconJon wrote:
    Hi. Cheers for the info. The spokes I broke have all been on the non drive side, so relatievly low tension. Maybe that's the problem. They've all broken at the hub flange.

I don't have a tensioner I'm afraid and won't be buying one as money is tight.

As I'm racing in this wheel I'm tempted to just give it to my LBS and let them set it up properly.

Is SW London handy for you?
  • BeaconJon
    Hi, no I'm up in Rugby, Warks so quite a way away.
  • ugo.santalucia
    BeaconJon wrote:
    Hi, no I'm up in Rugby, Warks so quite a way away.

Personally I would not trust an LBS, unless they do build lots of wheels... even very reputable ones do build crap wheels. I regularly get to inspect poor jobs that need re-doing... the vast majority do not use tension meters either... find a reputable builder in your area or have a go yourself
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    a meter costs £50 so worth the investment if you are looking to build the wheel yourself
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Not all shops build bad wheels ugo. There are plently out there that do good ones. Tension meters are essential, I cannot se how to build a relaible wheel without one. My ear is not that good a picking up pitch so that method does not work for me, and I do not believe it works that well either.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Not all shops build bad wheels ugo. There are plently out there that do good ones.

Exactly, those who build a lot of them... most don't but fancy a try anyway