dropping chain on a SS

Rudd
Rudd Posts: 264
edited May 2013 in Workshop
Hello,

I had the unnerving experience this morning of dropping my chain this morning whilst accelerating away from lights – I careered across the road nearly taking out one poor cyclist and thankfully not into the oncoming traffic. The bike is a single speed and has just come back from the bike shop. I had noticed that the chain was creaking a bit when I first pushed off - does this mean it was too tight? Could this have led to the chain dropping? I'm mechanically useless so any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Losing your chain on a SS is normally due to it being too slack or misaligned.

I would guess that the rear wheel moved.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    tension or alignment

maybe the s/s roller (if fitted) is loose

and check the chain ring bolts as well
  • Jimfrandisco
    Jimfrandisco Posts: 210
    It's only happened to me once, and that was due to the rear wheel shifting - even though you couldn't tell it had moved since fitting a chain tug its never happened again.
    That's assuming you have slotted drop outs, rather than using a chain tensioner - but as estampida says you'll need to rule out any misalignment, loose bolts etc as well.

Jim
  • Rudd
    Rudd Posts: 264
    thanks for the replies all. I'll check it out along those lines. Will take it easy on the way home tonight too and get my LBS to give it the once over.