When to replace tyres

matt@theforce
matt@theforce Posts: 647
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
Currently I'm still on my original BTWin 23c tyres. They've done around 2500miles and have never been punctured but are showing some signs of cracking on the sides & they are starting togo flat accross where they run on the road.

Will the flattening of the tyre cause a lack of grip when cornering or in the rain (I am a little more carefull in the rain as they do seem to slide easier than they used to)

I know its a difficult 1 to answer, I could do without replacing them at the moment as I'm getting another bike through Cyclescheme so this wont get used as much as it currently does

Matthew

Comments

• flappy8
    flappy8 Posts: 172
    The flattening will cause you to lose grip. If you feel you are losing grip or I'd replace them. I cycle in London & I'd take minimal risks - tyres are all you have between staying upright and the possibility of falling off and being hit.

Don't take that chance!
    MTB or Road - They are both good!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I normally replace tyres when various slashes get too big and or look like they have damaged to the carcass.

unlikely to get reduced grip, but may well find punctures are more likely.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    flappy8 wrote:
    The flattening will cause you to lose grip

Why is that then? Accepted wisdom says that grip on road bike tyres does not depend on tread, I can see no reason why flattening of the running surface should cause loss of grip.

If you look at Sheldon Brown http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html you will see that tyres can go on for a very long time. The two reasons he puts forward for changing a tyre are:

When the tread is worn so thin that you start getting a lot of flats from small pieces of glass and the like, or the fabric shows through the rubber.

When the tire's fabric has been damaged, so that the tire has a lumpy, irregular appearance somewhere, or the tube bulges through the tire.
  • matt@theforce
    In my mind, the flattening could cause issues when cornering due to the shape of the tyre as the contact patch would be a different shape.

It looks similar to this although much flatter
    Tire_Flat_Spot.jpg
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    In my mind, the flattening could cause issues when cornering due to the shape of the tyre as the contact patch would be a different shape.
    Unless you've got your tyres pumped up impossibly hard then the tyre will deform as it contacts the road.

Personally, I'd buy replacements when they're on offer and keep the originals until the thread is showing or punctures become frequent.

Checking my Strava logs - the GP4Seasons have done 2100 miles since August last yr and seem to have plenty of life in them - but I have a set of GP4000s' in the box waiting to go on (they were on offer a little while back).

The only thing I might do is put the 4000s' on shortly before the 4seasons fail so I have some "emergency" spares
  • matt@theforce
    I run them around 100psi.

It sounds like I've no need to worry about them and just continue riding :)
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    As long as you can't see the innertube.....
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494

It looks similar to this although much flatter
    Tire_Flat_Spot.jpg
    That looks almost brand new! I only throw tyres away once I can see the threads...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.