Giant Avail 2 2013 - Am I the only one who...

Joycie
Joycie Posts: 127
edited May 2013 in Women's cycling forum
... is having problems with the front derailleur constantly rubbing against the chain when it's in the large chainring? The trim hardly moves the derailleaur at all.

It's been back to the shop 8 times and has now had 4 new cables. It's a braze on dearailleur (Shimano Tiagra with FSA crank) and it's been detached and reattached twice. It runs fine for about 4 miles after it's been adjusted and then the rubbing starts again.

Outwith the 8 visists to the shop I've also been using the barrel adjuster to tighten the cable (and therefore move the derailleur). The bike's only done 550 miles so far :(

Comments

• raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Not being patronising but do you 'feather' the front derailleur when you ride? By that I mean 'reselect' the chainring by pushing on the STI lever slightly until it stops rubbing? I had Tiagra on a previous Cube Aerial and often the chain rubbed on the front derailleur when I was on the largest chainring. By slightly pushing the on the front derailleur selector lever again, not to the point of moving the chain, but just slightly, I could eradicate the contact. This was after weeks of trying to adjust the cable and the derailleur. Never had a problem after that. Mr technically correct would rightly say that you 'shouldn't have to do that to make it work' but it is Tiagra, which though fairly reliable isn't Ultegra after all.
    Make sense?
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Joycie
    Hi, that was basically what I was referring to by 'trim' The Tiagra compact effectively has 3 settings - small chainring, large chainring and the trim for the large chainring when you want to go as far over as possible! Unfortunately, even in that setting, it still rubs after 4 or so miles...
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    mmmm..sounds frustrating! Tiagra is a good quality item so you shouldn't be suffering these issues. Sorry can't think of anything else, apart from the 'high & low' adjusters on the derailluer itself but it sounds like you've checked most things. As a (silly?) last guess, you do have the correct length chain on....????
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Joycie
    It's still the standard chain that came with it so hopefully it should be right length! If I have to take it back for a 9th time I'll ask them to check it :-)