Brake pads

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Can anyone recommend any good ones?

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Swiss stop black and green, both work well for alloy rims.
    Kool stop -the black ones are also good for alloy rims.
  • joelsim
    Weinmann DP18 rims. Should have said.
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    It depends on the rim material and, to a lesser extent, also the weather conditions you will mainly be riding in.

Assuming aluminium rims, either Kool Stop or Swiss Stop. Do your homework a bit as they both are offered in different compounds depending on usage ie wet or dry conditions. (if you have carbon rims - I haven't a clue!)
    I am using both on different bikes. They are quite expensive and will probably wear quicker than cheaper pads - but that is good. It's better than the wheel rim wearing.

Gary
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • joelsim
    Very poor compared to the disks on my other bike. Will mostly use in the dry to be honest.
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    OK. Letap73 beat me to it, but I use Kool Stop salmons on my best bike which is (mainly) used in the dry. Although they are almost worn down now and I have just ordered some Swiss Stop black - for no other reason than to try them and compare.
    I have Swiss Stop green on the winter bike and they are very good.
    Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • joelsim
    Thanks guys, I'll have a look. Is it normal for pads to be about half as good as discs?
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    I got some Swissstop Blue pads the other week, really good.