Good Samaritan (for cyclists)

Brian B
Brian B Posts: 2,071
edited May 2013 in Road general
Have you ever done a good deed if you see a fellow cyclist who has a problem when you have been driving and stopped to help. Recently came across a cyclist on my way home from the etape du dales who had punctured and stopped and pumped his tyre up with my track pump. I have done this a few times now and sometimes even have given out a spare tube.

I am hoping that when I have an issue then karma will repay me.
Brian B.

Comments

• Churchill123
    Churchill123 Posts: 341
    Never had a car driver stop to help but have had fellow cyclists..
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I carry a multi-tool, spare tube, repair outfit and pump in my car, just in case I come across a helpless cyclist. Hasn't happened yet, but you never know!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Brian B wrote:
    Have you ever done a good deed if you see a fellow cyclist who has a problem when you have been driving and stopped to help. Recently came across a cyclist on my way home from the etape du dales who had punctured and stopped and pumped his tyre up with my track pump. I have done this a few times now and sometimes even have given out a spare tube.

I am hoping that when I have an issue then karma will repay me.

Karma doesnt exist - your goodness creates new worlds - someone somewhere is now the essence of good because of you- the universe will show its thanks if you follow the acts of synchronicity you'll see next week. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Lycra-Byka
    Lycra-Byka Posts: 292
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    I carry a multi-tool, spare tube, repair outfit and pump in my car, just in case I come across a helpless cyclist. Hasn't happened yet, but you never know!

I love that idea. I'm going to do that.
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    I always stop when I see a cyclist in trouble. Each time, the only thing I could do was have a chat as they were far more adept at changing tubes than I am.

The other night, first time ever I went out without a multi tool and I run into (not literally) a stranded mountain bike rider who needed an allen key :cry:
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    I was out on the bike a few months back, met a couple of guys struggling to push a car up the hill that I had just started down. So I stopped, left the bike at the side of the road and helped them push it to the top. Then just as I was about to go back for the bike, another cyclist had stopped, and was wheeling my bike up the hill to me. He said 'I saw what was going on, thought I'd bring your bike up in case someone else made off with it'.

Smiles all round.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I was out on the bike a few months back, met a couple of guys struggling to push a car up the hill that I had just started down. So I stopped, left the bike at the side of the road and helped them push it to the top. Then just as I was about to go back for the bike, another cyclist had stopped, and was wheeling my bike up the hill to me. He said 'I saw what was going on, thought I'd bring your bike up in case someone else made off with it'.

Smiles all round.

That just makes me really happy.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • ed_j
    ed_j Posts: 335

Smiles all round.

I would've suggested they just drove it up, but in the heat of the moment you probably hadn't thought of that.

Just kidding, nice story :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Lycra-Byka wrote:
    Raymondo60 wrote:

I love that idea. I'm going to do that.

I do that too. Have not needed to use yet though.
    It gets my old patched tubes (that I never re use) out of the garage at least :D

Have offered to pump up a ladies tyre (why do so many people ride around with virtually flat tyres? :? ) who cycled past my house, but she said it would be ok as she was nearly home. I bet she did not pump it up though :roll:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Carbonator wrote:
    Have offered to pump up a ladies tyre (why do so many people ride around with virtually flat tyres? :? ) who cycled past my house, but she said it would be ok as she was nearly home. I bet she did not pump it up though :roll:

That could have been my Mrs - she came hom quite upset the other day with some story about some pervert who had offerred to pump up her rear.
    :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Stopped to help somebody put their chain back on a fixie and explained why the back wheel needed to be moved to keep chain tension.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Last yr we rode in a sportive on the Sat that was repeated on the Sunday - so drove around the course on Sunday and offered the trackpump to a few riders with punctures - much to their surprise!

Always make a point of checking a cyclist is ok when they're stopped at the side of the road - it might be something simple that can be fixed or maybe they don't have a phone/signal to call for help.
  • Camus
    Camus Posts: 189
    Normally it's just giving someone a wide berth when in the car, but I do like the idea of turning it into a neutral team car!
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    I had a random stranger give me a tow on a club ride, although I didnt actually need it as I was dropping back to pick up and help some stragglers with a tow myself.

The driver pulled out in front of me and indicated for me to position my self behind his car as he started to accelerate giving indications when his speed ometer reached 20mph and 30mph. He towed me along to catch up with the main group, I didnt have the heart to refuse his offer of assistance.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Marmotte 2011. Cardiff Ajax guy on the road just before the start of the Alpe D'huez climb.
    He sees me in approaching and holds up an inner tube. I'm good natured, so I stopped. He
    said he had punctured again and didn't have any patches to mend his last tube. I had 3 spare
    tubes so let him have one of them. A late finisher* in our group passed him further on up the Alpe.

* I too, was a late finisher; but that's another story :oops: