Century Ride Rules

stu-bim
stu-bim Posts: 384
edited May 2013 in Commuting chat
Trying to find if there are any standard rules with regards doing a 100 mile ride, apart from the obvious

Is it non stop on the bike, or are there normal time lengths for breaks/rests/feeds or is as long as it is all one day

Had a look at wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_ride and googled but not seeing anything
Raleigh RX 2.0
Diamondback Outlook
Planet X Pro Carbon

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I dunno, is it a race?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    iPete wrote:
    I dunno, is it a race?

it's always a race
  • stu-bim
    I want to work up to trying it on my own. Knees and ankles too knackered to run a marathon and want something to aim towards.
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm not sure there are any rules - provided it's a broadly continuous ride (one day, no huge breaks), I'm sure it "counts"
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • stu-bim
    Thanks

15 min break at 25 and 75 with 30 min at 50 seem OK?
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    you could probably take a little longer than that. I did one in September last year and I think I had a 30 minute break after 35 miles and then about 45 mins at about 65 miles. Try and build café stops into your route.
  • meanredspider
    There are no Century Ride police.

I did my first, second, third and fourth century rides consecutively during London to Edinburgh earlier this month. Typically I stopped twice for about 20 mins with maybe 1 or 2 5-minute breaks.

I wouldn't get too hung up on this though. There's a point at which being stopped for too long makes it harder to get going again as your muscles begin to stiffen up.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Depending on your experience with long rides, I would argue that it can be easier staying on the bike and soft pedalling rather than taking breaks unless absolutely necessary. I sometimes find it hard to get going again after stopping.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I think almost every time I've ridden that far I've stopped at a shop to get more water. A good tip is to mix your electrolyte (a must, esp somewhere as hot as Barbados) and then take enough powder to make another bottle in a ziploc sandwich bag.

The other top tip is to eat regularly (eg every 20-30 mins) whether you feel hungry or not. Waiting until you're hungry is waiting too long. Bonked once and had to sit down outside a shop and scoff crisps, Mars bars and Coke. Not ideal.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Rules for a 100 mile bike ride?

Ride a 100 miles on a bike.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    dont phone a taxi
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    My rules for century rides:

1. Don't do it on a TT bike
    2. Don't set a target time, in case it spoils the ride
    3. Stop for lunch, somewhere around the halfway point
    4. If significantly more than 100 miles, stop for a pint around the 100 mile point
    5. It is acceptable to incorporate a race as part of the century, but rule 1 must still be observed

I know people who have broken rules 1-3 (all at once), and they tell me they didn't enjoy the ride very much...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    stu-bim wrote:
    Trying to find if there are any standard rules with regards doing a 100 mile ride, apart from the obvious

Is it non stop on the bike, or are there normal time lengths for breaks/rests/feeds or is as long as it is all one day

Had a look at wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_ride and googled but not seeing anything

Well that page says within 12 hours, which seems reasonable. But tbh if I'd started at 6am and finished at 9pm I don't see why that wouldn't 'count'.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    TGOTB wrote:
    My rules for century rides:

1. Don't do it on a TT bike
    2. Don't set a target time, in case it spoils the ride
    3. Stop for lunch, somewhere around the halfway point
    4. If significantly more than 100 miles, stop for a pint around the 100 mile point
    5. It is acceptable to incorporate a race as part of the century, but rule 1 must still be observed

I know people who have broken rules 1-3 (all at once), and they tell me they didn't enjoy the ride very much...

Yeah. but what really spoiled it for them was the swim before hand and the nice long run afterwards...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    stu-bim wrote:

Well that page says within 12 hours, which seems reasonable. But tbh if I'd started at 6am and finished at 9pm I don't see why that wouldn't 'count'.

The wiki entry appear to be written by an american, so by defination doesn't count for anything.

Ride 100 miles in one ride - however you like
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412

Pretty sure that covers it.
  • stu-bim

Would that be covered by
    stu-bim wrote:
    ...apart from the obvious...
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    If you would like it to have rules - enter a 100mile time trial.
  • The first rule of Century Ride Club is: You do not talk about Century Ride Club. The second rule of Century Ride Club is: You do not talk about Century Ride Club. Third rule of Century Ride Club: Someone yells stop, goes limp, taps out, the ride is over. Fourth rule: only two wheels to a bike. Fifth rule: one bike at a time, fellas. Sixth rule: chamois pad, clipless shoes. Seventh rule: Rides will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first Century Ride, you will need a pint when you have finished.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The first rule of Century Ride Club is: You do not talk about Century Ride Club. The second rule of Century Ride Club is: You do not talk about Century Ride Club. Third rule of Century Ride Club: Someone yells stop, goes limp, taps out, the ride is over. Fourth rule: only two wheels to a bike. Fifth rule: one bike at a time, fellas. Sixth rule: chamois pad, clipless shoes. Seventh rule: Rides will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first Century Ride, you will need a pint and a curry when you have finished.

FTFY
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • marcusjb wrote:
    I have done this (4 hours 46) and I recommend it as super fun*. I did have to unclip at one roundabout though.

*This may be a lie.
  • stu-bim
    marcusjb wrote:
    I have done this (4 hours 46) and I recommend it as super fun*. I did have to unclip at one roundabout though.

*This may be a lie.

Think I am a (very) long way off a time like that but thanks for all the tips from everyone
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • stu-bim
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The first rule of Century Ride Club is: You do not talk about Century Ride Club. The second rule of Century Ride Club is: You do not talk about Century Ride Club. Third rule of Century Ride Club: Someone yells stop, goes limp, taps out, the ride is over. Fourth rule: only two wheels to a bike. Fifth rule: one bike at a time, fellas. Sixth rule: chamois pad, clipless shoes. Seventh rule: Rides will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first Century Ride, you will need a pint and a curry when you have finished.

FTFY

I'm always partial to a McDonalds milkshake after a 100-miler. It's the only time I cross the threshold of the Golden Arches.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • meanredspider
    DesWeller wrote:

I'm always partial to a McDonalds milkshake after a 100-miler. It's the only time I cross the threshold of the Golden Arches.

That's funny - before I did London to Cambridge night ride, I had a burger, fries and a nice banana shake in one of those upmarket burger places (BGW or something). Must have worked because I was nearly an hour faster than the other 249 riders :wink:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Meh, there are no rules. Clearly you will need to stop for a p1ss a few times. I tend to do that and then throw in a quick cafe stop at around 65 miles or so. After all there is no point in riding long distance if cake is not involved at some stage. As long as you enjoy it, who cares.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I can't imagine rolling up at the in-laws 108 miles away and being told it doesn't count as a 108 mile ride as I stopped for a few minutes to refuel and have a break from sitting in the same position for 7 hours.
  • anonymousblackfg
    anonymousblackfg Posts: 2,029
    Anything goes as long as your done in under 5 hours. As cheery waves and hellos to Triathletes as possible are compulsary.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    It at least has to be all in the same day, as I could do a 10 mile bike ride 10 days in a row and claim a century.