Change in Workplace = change of bike

Octopus1
Octopus1 Posts: 56
edited June 2013 in Commuting general
My current commute is 12miles on road each way, mostly b roads and urban. I've been using a cx bike with 28c road tyres and a road bike during the summer.

In August my commute will change to 6miles each way but i have the option of doing the majority of the journey on a tow path, it starts 1 mile from my house and takes me to within 100 yards of the office. So 1 mile, 100 yards on road and the rest off road.

The tow path is pretty muddy in places, my options are to stick better tyres on the cx or use an mtb. I have a good supply of 26" tyres including ice tyres so my thoughts are to use a rigid mtb for the commute. Parking is not as secure at the new offices, currently I have the only key to a locking storage cupboard, the new place will have a bike rack.

I could do the journey on road, 3 miles quiet road, but then dual carriageway and very busy main road into suburbs. I'm a confident cyclist but prefer not to use dual carriageways when commuting home at night. There are no alternative routes to the dc as I have to pass under major motorway.

So tow path or road, cx or mtb ?

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    so

some old mtb frames will take 700c wheels this is food for thought.... the distance is not massive but road wheel size are a lot easier to cover distance
    as its flat and towpath, single speed is perfect for that also, it can make a bike less attractive to thieves
    and mud guards leave them on, it also makes a bike less attractive to thieves

the CX with some hybrid tyre on it could be ideal ..... just drop the gearing (probably perfect)

ice is only an issue for 20 days a year or somthing like that....... what about the other 220 days a year.....
  • Octopus1
    I have plenty of 26" tyres including ice tyres, mud, slicks etc

The Vitus Vee 1 looks like a good bet for the distance and minimal climbing. The fact that its simple and almost maintenance free is an attraction. However n+1 is already at 5 so another bike might be pushing it.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I bought a CX specifically for winter - granted I'm not in tow path territory - 1/2 A road then 1/2 B road which gets really muddy. It's got slicks on it now, but I've got some CX tyres that can go on when the weather dictates (almost needed them this morning as it looks like the tractors have been out spreading the fields on the road).

Personally I'd just stick with the CX for now - slicker tyres for the better weather and knobblies for the crap (so leave the knobblies on!) and get on with it.

Not sure how public the bike rack at work is - but some big locks that you can leave there + a cover if it's exposed. I'm lucky in that I can bring the bike into the office ... :D
  • Octopus1
    Any recommentation for CX tyres ?

I can leave several locks at the bike rack, 2 d locks and an abus chain should do it.

Mudguards on the cx will probably have to come off sue to lack of clearance.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Nope - sorry .. I've just been lent some Challenge Griffo 32 tyres - but not had a chance to ride them yet.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    What about a hybrid like a Trek DS?
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    You are definitely in Vitus Vee1 territory - get the 26 or 29er - fantastic SS/MTB fun all round and a real bargain when you look at the quality of the build. About £300 or less on Chain Reaction. Love mine.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Any excuse for a new bike ;)

I'd be seriously looking at the vitus. Would make a great d!ck about bike.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You want to get another bike rather than a CX for mild off road?

http://youtu.be/GCtHmrDU8YE

...on my Tricross with 28c road tyres. I can fit Marathon winters on the same bike without removing the 'guards. Just get some 32c CX tyres

I got Vittoria Cross Evo XMs in a sale but really anything like the Michelin Cyclocross Mud 2 is fine. Just keep the pressure fairly mid range for the mud and you'll be fine
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    It was my understanding the CX bike were specifically meant for mud?!
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    I'm sure your use case has been used many times on this forum by people convincing other people to get a CX - it seems purpose built for your scenario (and could take far worse conditions than you describe)

unless...you are really worried it'll get nicked in which case you could buy a cheaper bike? Or just get insurance?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It was my understanding the CX bike were specifically meant for mud?!

No we like to cycle on the roads, the track, the mud.

We are perverts. Really. 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter