Gore Ride-On Low Friction

dee4life2005
dee4life2005 Posts: 773
edited May 2013 in Workshop
I fitted one of these gear cables, and outer, for the rear shifter. It has been shifting nice and smoothly for the last ~ 2000-3000 miles but has recently started to stick a bit while shifting either up but more noticeably when shifting down. It would think about it for 5-10 seconds then shift.

I unclamped the cable and it does seem to be binding slightly in the rear portion of the outer that leads to the rear derailleur barrel adjuster - and on closer inspection it appears to be because the coating on the cable it peeling off and it's this that's causing it to get jammed up a little.

Is this common with these cables ? Is there anything I can do to resolve this, e.g. trying to strip the coating from the cable or should I just replace the cable with some Jagwire stuff ?

The shifters / derialleur are Ultegra 6700 if it makes any difference.

Comments

• ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    yes it's very common. Gore uses PTFE coating which is a polymer. it's great as it is smooth and low friction and doesn't degrade. but it is a sheet of plastic and doesn't bind to metal very well. so it rubs off easily.

get a set of new cables basically. as posted by me in another thread. any stainless steel cables with a decent housing of your choice would do the job fine. has to be stainless steel as you don't want rusting cables...
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    I do ride my bike alot, probably going to be about 8000 miles this year ... am I really looking at having to replace my cables ever 2000-3000 miles?

It only appears to be the rear gear cable that I'm having this problem with - the OEM gear cable for the front derailleur and OEM brake cables are still running fine after 4500 miles ... the OEM rear cable had to be replaced at 2000 miles, which I replaced with a Gore Ride-On Low Friction, which appears to be useless after a further 25000 miles.

What's the normal expected life span of a cable - just so I can plan it into my maintenance routine.

I might just get the Jagwire Racer Brake & Gear Cable Kit from wiggle and replace them then.
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    cable should last ages, as long as you are not changing shifters all the time and the ends are not too badly frayed.

probably a set of cable should last the life time of a bike...you need to clean it at the derailleur/brake ends as crap can build up there.

but housing can get mushed as the dust and crap can get inside and etc.
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    The gore ride-on pros on my winter/crap weather (most often used) bike are still going strong after well over 10k miles