Servicing M520 pedals

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited May 2013 in Commuting chat
Just realised that one of my pedals has developed a significant amount of play; It's been on the commuter for at least a couple of years, so it doesn't owe me anything. Anyone serviced these, and able to offer an opinion on how easy they are to dismantle/repair? Trying to decide between spending £3 on the special tool to take them apart, or just chucking them in the bin and spending £17.49 on a new pair...
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Option B.

I've seen 520's go for less than £15 which is less than some SPD Sl cleats. I've paid a lot more for things that I'd be more than happy to get 2 years out of.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    One of mine developed play and it was a doddle to service...but I did have the tool sitting in my tool box. Flipped out the bearings, cleaned, put them back in with fresh grease and adjusted until no play but free movement.

I actually replaced the pedals a month ago as they were going rusty...and I needed new cleats!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    If you don't need cleats I've got a pair of little used 520s sitting in a drawer you can have. They were given to me with my son's road bike frame so owe me nothing and passing them on would continue the karma or something.
    if you need cleats buy a heavily discounted new pair as Prawny says.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got M540s which I serviced a while ago, very easy to do:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... als-24286/
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I've serviced a pair. you don't need a special tool just a pair of pliers to grip the gnarled area just below the 'R' in the pic below and unscrew the opposite way to the arrow that says 'tighten->'.

3759-2.jpg
    FCN = 4
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    bails87 wrote:

thanks for the link, I've been meaning to service the 540's on 2 off my bikes for a while.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    gbsahne wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

thanks for the link, I've been meaning to service the 540's on 2 off my bikes for a while.
    Squeezing the old grease out is good! A horrible black, lumpy mess comes out at first and then is replaced by lovely, smooth, clean new grease. :D
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Veronese68 wrote:
    If you don't need cleats I've got a pair of little used 520s sitting in a drawer you can have. They were given to me with my son's road bike frame so owe me nothing and passing them on would continue the karma or something.
    if you need cleats buy a heavily discounted new pair as Prawny says.
    Thanks for the kind offer. I really think I should replace my cleats too though, so I'll shell out for a new set...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My servicing of SPD pedals with their axle design has been to take the axle out and soak it in degreaser overnight and fill the pedal body with degreaser and clean out with tissue etc. Let the axle dry fully then reassemble with the pedal body full of grease.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.